Pumpkin Twists are a delicious finger food with all the flavors you love in a pumpkin pie! They’re simple to make and totally delicious!
An Easy Fall Treat
When the leaves start to change color and you feel a crisp chill in the morning air, it’s time to start baking all things pumpkin! If you’re looking for a new pumpkin recipe that’s both simple AND delicious, this is it!
These Pumpkin Twists look impressive, but they’re actually incredibly easy to make! You can whip up a batch in just a few minutes, and the ingredient list has nothing scary on it. Next time your Pumpkin Cravings strike, give these twists a try!
Here’s how to make them –
- PUFF PASTRY – For this recipe, we are working with 6 smaller sheets of puff pastry. I’ve seen Puff Pastry packaged in 13.2 oz. packages that contain 1 giant sheet of puff pastry, and packages that are 17.3 oz and have 2 smaller sheets. Both products work fine and I’ve included directions for each option below.
- SUGAR – You will need both brown and white sugar
- PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
- PUMPKIN PUREE – Homemade or store-bought.
- SANDING SUGAR – Regular white granulated sugar works for this too!
- GLAZE – I used my basic glaze recipe (powdered sugar, milk + vanilla) and added 1 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice.
How to Make Pumpkin Twists
Blend – Combine the brown sugar, sugar, 1 teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice, and the pumpkin purée into a medium bowl until everything has combined. Then refrigerate everything until you’re ready to use it.
Spread It – Carefully unroll one sheet of puff pastry and place it on a sheet of wax paper. (Some puff pastries come already on top of wax paper and some do not.)
Roll – Next, you’ll want to gently roll with rolling pin to flatten any creases.
Cut – If you’re using a 10×15 puff pastry, cut it in half and place half of the sheet aside.
Pumpkin – Now you’ll spread about 1/3 of the pumpkin/sugar filling onto 1 sheet of the puff pastry. Leave about a 1/4-inch border around edges.
Cut – Place another sheet of puff pastry on top of the filling and then press the edges just slightly to seal. Then carefully cut it into six 1 1/2-inch strips.
Baking Prep – Place each strip of pumpkin twists on a prepared baking sheet 1 1/2-inches apart. Then, gently twist each strip 3 times.
Pumpkin Mixture – Mix the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice with sanding sugar in small bowl; set aside.
Top – Mix together the egg and milk in small bowl. Then brush each pumpkin twist with the egg and milk mixture and sprinkle with pumpkin + sugar mixture.
Repeat – Do the same thing with each remaining puff pastry sheets and pumpkin fillings until you have 18 twists ready for the oven.
Cook – Bake the twists for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Let them cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Glaze – Meanwhile, add the glaze ingredients into a bowl and mix until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled pumpkin twists, or serve alongside them for dipping.
Don’t they look delicious???
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
- Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping
- Chocolate Glazed Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Turnovers
- …and if those don’t catch your eye, here are 30 Easy Pumpkin Recipes!
HERE IS A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Pumpkin Twists Recipe
for the twists:
- 3 13.2 oz puff pastry rolls, thawed*
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup sanding sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
for the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Combine brown sugar, sugar, 1 teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice, and the pumpkin purée in a medium bowl until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Carefully unroll one sheet of puff pastry and place it on a sheet of wax paper. (Some puff pastries come already on top of wax paper and some do not.) Gently roll with a rolling pin to flatten any creases. If you’re using a 10×15 puff pastry, cut in half and place 1/2 sheet aside.
- Spread 1/3 of pumpkin/sugar filling (approximately 1/3 cup) onto 1 sheet of the puff pastry, leaving 1/4-inch border around edges.
- Place another sheet of puff pastry on top of the filling, pressing the edges just slightly to seal. Carefully cut into six 1 1/2-inch strips.
- Place each strip on a prepared baking sheet 1 1/2-inches apart. Gently twist each strip 3 times.
- Mix remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice with sanding sugar in a small bowl; set aside. Mix egg and milk together in a small bowl. Brush each twist with egg and milk mixture and sprinkle with pumpkin + sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining puff pastry sheets and pumpkin fillings until you have 18 twists ready for the oven.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, add the glaze ingredients into a bowl and mix until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled pumpkin twists, or serve alongside them for dipping.