These mini apple pies are the perfect ratio of buttery crust and caramel apple filling! The perfect addition to your next holiday party!
Confession: I have a love affair with pie crust. Who’s with me? If you just raised your hand then allow me to introduce your new favorite way to eat pie. Miniature. The thing I love about these mini apple pies are their filling to crust ratio. It all starts with crisp granny smith apples…
…and a delicious buttery pie dough. To achieve their mini apple pie size use wide mouth mason jar lids in place of a pie pan.
Next arrange two layers of tart apples inside your crust.
And then finish off your filling with a quick homemade cinnamon caramel sauce.
Bake those little beauties until golden brown and voilà ! The outcome is a flaky pie crust with just enough caramel apple filling.
Mini Apple Pies
Makes: 8 Miniature Apple Pies
- 1 recipe for a 9 inch single pie crust*
- 2-3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
*My favorite homemade pie crust recipe is the Basic Pie Dough from William Sonoma. You may also use store-bought pie crust.
YOU WILL ALSO NEED:
- 8 wide mouth mason jar lids and rings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the pie crust out and cut out into 4 1/2 inch rounds. You will need 8.
- Lightly press each round of dough into the inside of a wide mouth mason jar lid.
- Poke the bottom of each pie with the prongs of a fork a few times.
- Fill each pie crust with 8-10 apple slices.
- To make the caramel filling, begin by melting the butter in a small saucepan.
- Once the butter has melted add the flour and mix to create a paste.
- Add the water, white sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon to the pan.
- Slowly whisk to combine.
- While stirring, allow the mixture to come to a boil and then reduce to the heat to low and cook, stirring, for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon caramel filling to each mini pie.
- Place each pie into the oven directly on the rack. Place a cookie sheet underneath to catch any caramel that may bubble over.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Carefully take the pies out of the oven and pushing on the bottom, remove each pie from the mason jar lids.
- Place the pie directly on a baking sheet and return them to the oven for another 15-20 minutes or until the bottom of the crust is lightly browned.
- Cool and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: Grandma Ople’s Apple Pie