The Super Bowl wouldn’t be the same without good food and good friends! Hosting the big game? Serve this simple football cake to score BIG with your guests.
Everyone loves a good tailgating party with plenty of appetizers and treats, and today I’m going to show you how to turn a regular round cake into a festive football dessert!
Whether it’s a sport-themed birthday party or a Super Bowl party, a cake decorated to look like a football is sure to add some fun to the festivities.
Here’s how to make it –
How to Make a Football Cake
*** You can make this game day cake dairy-free by following our Dairy Free Cake with Chocolate Frosting recipe.
- 2 round chocolate cakes, cooked and cooled to room temperature.
- chocolate frosting – I used a tub of store-bought frosting.
- white frosting or white icing – Mine came ready to use, but you can place yours in a piping bag with a narrow tip, or use a ziplock baggie with the corner snipped off.
HOMEMADE VS. STORE-BOUGHT
You can make this football cake as simple or as homemade as you’d like it to be! I used everything store-bought for this cake – a chocolate cake mix, a tub of frosting, white icing, etc., but feel free to use your favorite Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe, a chocolate buttercream frosting for the top, and a White Buttercream Frosting for the laces if you’d like!
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS –
PREP + BAKE. Bake your cakes in a preheated oven according to the recipe/package directions. (Follow the method that uses 2 9-inch round cake pans.) Let them cool on a wire rack or parchment paper.
CUT. To create your football, use a serrated knife to slice about a 2-inch-wide strip out of the center of each of your cakes.
SHAPE. Remove the center strip of cake and place the two halves side by side to create a football shape. Removing the center of the cake will make your round cake look like a football!
FROST CAKE. Add a layer of frosting on top of one “football”, then stack the other football on top.
DECORATION. Frost the top and sides of the cake with chocolate frosting, and then pipe the lines for the “laces” with cream cheese, buttermilk, or vanilla frosting right down the middle.
SERVE – Place on a cake stand or platter and get ready for the big game!
VARIATION – You can use green food coloring and any leftover or remaining frosting to make football field “grass” on top of your platter. Just stir together the white frosting and food coloring in a medium bowl until it reaches your desired color, then spread or pipe a layer onto your cake pan before placing your football cake on top.
So easy, right?? A 2 layer cake that looks festive and fun! (I love a good method that doesn’t require artistic skills to look (and taste!) amazing!)
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD WITH THE RECIPE DIRECTIONS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
- 2 round chocolate cakes, cooked and cooled.
- chocolate frosting
- white icing
- To create your football, cut about a 2 inch strip out of the center of each of your cakes.
- Remove the center strip and place the two halves side by side to create a football shape.
- Add a layer of frosting on top of one “football”, then stack the other football on top.
- Frost the top and sides with chocolate frosting, and then pipe the “laces” right down the middle.