If you’ve never paired ginger and lemon together, you are in for a special treat! These delicious Ginger Cookies are topped with a lemon cream that tastes AMAZING!
Lemon Ginger Cookies have always been one of my favorite store-bought treats and this homemade version is absolutely divine! I took my favorite ginger cookies recipe and simply dressed them up with a homemade lemon curd buttercream. The result is a soft, sweet cookie that just might become your new favorite holiday treat!
Ginger Cookies Recipe with Lemon Cream
for the Gingersnap Cookies :
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
for the Lemon Curd Buttercream :
- 2/3 cup of lemon curd, homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk, half-and-half, or heavy cream
for the Gingersnap cookies :
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses.
- Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.
- Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
for Lemon Curd Buttercream:
- Using a hand mixer, whip the butter and curd together until light and fluffy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth, adding additional milk if a runnier consistency of frosting is desired.
- Ginger Lemon Creme Cookie Assembly
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, spread the buttercream on top and enjoy!
Our favorite homemade lemon curd is this one here –
I love these ginger lemon creme cookies, and everyone I have shared them with does too!
Give them a try and let us know what you think!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Amanda Jenks is the delicious blogger from The Taste Tester. She was on the contributing team of Somewhat Simple in 2013.