By request, here is a tutorial for how to make Ribbon Lined Alligator Clips.
- Alligator clips: There are different clips you can buy for your basic hairbows, but I buy a box of 2-inch metal clips from Sally’s Beauty Supply. You can also buy them from Amazon here.
- 4 inches of ribbon, about the thickness of your clip.
- Glue Gun
- Match or lighter
- Velcro *optional
If you have any questions or need clarification on any of these steps, we’ve included a video at the end of this post just for you!
- Burn the edges of your ribbon. This will prevent fraying.
- Stick your ribbon inside the aligator clip- sliding one end to the back of the clip.
- Add some hot glue on the outside of the clip where the ribbon will cover.
- Fold the ribbon that is hanging outside of your clip over the glue you just applied.
- Add a dab of glue on the back side of the clip on the top only- don’t go further down than about 1 fingertip in length.
- Fold the ribbon all the way around the top of the clip to the back side, covering the glue you just applied.
The clip is now covered with ribbon!
To make it so the clip will hold fast in fine hair, cut a small piece of felt or velcro- the fuzzy side of the velcro, not the rough part! Put some hot glue on it and place it inside the alligator clip on the side that is fully covered with ribbon.
This post originally published on Somewhat Simple in July 2009