Get ready to save the world with a simple no-sew Kids Superhero Costume! This easy idea can be made in just minutes!
A Fun Costume Idea
Whether you’re looking for a simple Halloween costume or just some fun additions to your kid’s dress-up bin, this no-sew superhero costume is absolutely perfect!
The cape is cut from a large T-Shirt and can easily be made in your favorite colors. So grab some scissors and some fun embellishments, and let’s make some easy superhero costumes!
How to Make a Kids Superhero Costume
Addie wanted to be a black Owl for the day, so we made her a Super Owl costume from an old shirt and some silver feathers from our craft bin. I’ll include the pattern we used at the end of this post if you have a little one who wants to be an owl too!
YOU WILL NEED –
- T-SHIRT – Any large t-shirt will work well.
- FABRIC – Felt or thicker fabric in whatever colors your child wants! We used white + grey felt, and a sparkly foam sheet.
- FEATHERS – For our owl design if you can’t find feathers, our printable pattern has a template you can use to cut feathers out of your felt/fabric.
- EMBELLISHMENTS – Any other embellishments you’d like to add – puffy paint, ribbon, jewels, etc.
- GLUE – Hot glue or fabric glue both work well.
- CHALK – To trace your pattern.
- MEASURING TAPE – You can also use a yardstick or measuring tape
On the back of the shirt, trace a straight line from the edge of the collar to the bottom of the shirt on a diagonal.
Cut along the lines, but don’t cut the collar – this will go around the neck to hold the cape on. Once you get to the collar, just cut along the seam line.
Now you have a cape made from the backside of the t-shirt, but save the front fabric – you’ll need that for the mask!
Cut out your superhero “logo” – your child’s initial, sign, or our cute owl design – from your felt or fabric. Hot glue the pieces onto the back of the cape.
From the front of the shirt, cut a long rectangle out, starting from the shoulder, down to the bottom, approx 4.5″ wide by 26″ long.
Tie the rectangle around your child’s face, with their eyes closed.
Taking your chalk, GENTLY mark where their eyes are, and then make a dot on the tip of the nose.
Untie the rectangle from their face, cut out the eye holes where your marks are, and then cut the bottom up to where your child’s nose is, so the mask will only cover the tip and not the nostrils. For the owl costume, we cut the mask in a slight V so the bottom would resemble a bird beak.
Glue the feathers above the eyes.
… and you’re done!
Printable Owl Superhero Pattern
If you want to download our owl pattern, enter your name and email in the form below and the PDF file will load immediately.
Now that your mask and cape are done, it’s time to save the world!