This delicious and zesty guacamole is made with fresh ingredients and takes just a few minutes to make. Perfect for a Mole Day party or just a little late night snacking!
What Is Mole Day?
Of all the classes I took in college, my chemistry classes definitely gave me the most anxiety. As did math and we didn’t even have courses for engineering! I had only taken a basic chemistry class in high school, and when I learned that I need to pass both general chemistry and bio/organic chemistry to continue with my college major, I was sure that I was going to fail.
Once I started attending classes, though, I realized that chemistry could actually be fun! We did some pretty great experiments (with only a few small mishaps, like the time I burned a giant hole in my jacket) and I learned so much. When I recently heard about celebrating Mole Day, which occurs every year on October 23rd, it took me back to my chemistry classes all those years ago.
Mole Day is a great opportunity to teach kids about chemistry! It celebrates Avogadro’s number, which is a basic unit of measure in chemistry. Avogadro’s number is 6.02 x 10^23, so the holiday is celebrated on October 23rd from 6:02 a.m. to 6:02 p.m.. Moles make it easier to compare quantities of different molecules and they are helpful in chemical equations. I had a great time coming up with some fun ways to celebrate Mole Day this year!
A Mole Day Food Idea
When I was brainstorming a tasty snack to celebrate Mole Day, the first thing that came to mind was guaca-MOLE. I think if my family had to decide on one condiment to eat forever, it would definitely be guacamole! We eat it on everything – enchiladas, burritos, quesadillas, scrambled eggs, even burgers! My kids love it and will eat it by the spoonful. This zesty guacamole is our favorite recipe, and I love that it turns out so flavorful. The combination of avocado, tomato, red onion, and cilantro is fantastic. It takes just a few minutes to make and tastes great on everything!
Just for fun, I decided to serve my guacamole in individual cups, with a silly Mole Day joke in each cup. They’re full of puns (or as we call them at our house, “dad jokes”), and they gave my whole family a round of the giggles. These would be perfect for hosting your own Mole Day party!
Mole Day Jokes
I just printed the jokes out on card stock, cut out the circles, and taped a toothpick to the back. Super easy, and so cute and funny!
Thinking back on my own chemistry experience, I definitely would have been less intimidated by chemistry if I had access to more STEM classes growing up. Providing kids with STEM education as they grow up helps to prepare them for careers in STEM fields, which are growing quickly right now and have great earning potential.
Sylvan EDGE programs are designed to give kids hands-on experience in robotics, engineering, coding, and math. Sylvan’s EDGE classes are cutting edge, and also really fun! Sylvan EDGE give kids the confidence and skills they need to be successful in the future.
It’s important to start STEM education early when children are at the prime age for learning and retention. If you want until later in life, it becomes much harder to grasp STEM concepts. It can be as simple as measuring ingredients for a recipe, or building a DIY project together.
Celebrating Mole Day is a great way to introduce kids to chemistry concepts, have fun together as a family, and start planting the seeds of STEM education. I hope you’ll enjoy this zesty guacamole while you celebrate!
What’s In This Guacamole?
To make this zesty guacamole recipe, you just need the following fresh ingredients:
- 3 medium (or 2 large) avocados, diced
- 1 lime
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Tajin seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
How To Make Zesty Guacamole
- Mash It – Cut out the avocados and add them to a medium sized bowl. Using a fork or your other favorite mashing device, mash the avocados to until you get the consistency you love. Add the juice from half of a lime to the bowl and then stir until everything has combined.
- Season It – Next, you’ll add the tomato, red onion, cilantro, garlic powder, and Tajin seasoning to the avocados. Gently stir to combine all of the zesty flavors together. Add a little salt and pepper to fit your taste.
- Serve It – Serve immediately or cover tightly with plastic wrap. Press the wrap against the top of the guacamole to prevent it as best you can from exposing it to air. Since Mole Day falls close to Halloween, it can be fun to serve this zesty guacamole in the Throwing Up Pumpkin.
Zesty Guacamole Recipe
- Add the avocados to a medium bowl. Using a fork or potato masher, mash the avocados to desired consistency. Add the juice of 1/2 lime and stir to combine.
- Add the tomato, red onion, cilantro, garlic powder, and Tajin seasoning, and stir gently to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or cover tightly with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap against the top of the guacamole to prevent exposure to air.