This Pear Apple Crumble is the perfect dessert for those cooler Fall nights!
As the evenings draw in and the weather gets cooler, I crave nothing more than a warm, comforting dessert. Soft fruit and cinnamon with a delicious crunchy top… there’s just nothing better! That is, until you add the sweet contrast of the cold ice cream – I simply can’t get enough!
I mean, I adore apple crumble, but one night I started brain storming how I could make it even better.
“Why not add pears?” I asked myself.
And so I did.
And I am SO glad I did.
This Pear Apple Crumble is AMAZING!
I used different types of apples and pears; soft, sweet pears and crunchy, juicy apples. This way you could really taste the two fruits individually.
With brown sugar and cinnamon in the mix, the result is sweet, juicy and a little spicy. I really think the cinnamon is the cherry on the top of this whole dessert; it just adds a beautiful warmth to the crumble.
The topping is a buttery oat and flour crumble that literally makes this dessert pure heaven on a plate!
And if a delicious dessert isn’t enough to strike your curiosity, let me just tell you that it is also SUPER simple to make@ Mix the fruit filling and leave it to one side while you make the topping. Put it all in a greased pan and bake it.
Which brings me to the hardest part of this whole process – waiting until its done to eat it! The amazing smell it gives off while baking made my mouth water and I could not wait for it to be ready!
PEAR APPLE CRUMBLE
Serves: 6-8 // Total Time: 1 hour
INGREDIENTS FOR APPLE PEAR CRUMBLE:
- 3 large/4 small apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4-1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats, not quick cook
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Ice cream to serve, optional
DIRECTIONS FOR APPLE PEAR CRUMBLE:
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and spray an 13 x 9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Place apples, pears, cornstarch, lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon into a medium sized bowl and toss until all the fruit is coated in the cornstarch/sugar mixture. Leave to one side.
- Place the oats, sugar, flour and salt into a medium sized bowl and stir briefly to combine.
- Add in the cubes of butter and vanilla, then rub between your fingers until you have a coarse breadcrumb texture. Some larger lumps the size of peas is great; adds texture to the crumble!
- Tip the fruit mixture into your prepared pan and smooth into a level layer with a spatula/wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping all over the fruit into as even a layer as you can get it.
- Place in the oven for 35-45 minutes, until the fruit filling is bubbling and the top is golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool for 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with ice cream and enjoy!
Apple Pear Crumble will keep covered, in the fridge, for 3 days. To serve, warm in the microwave for a minute.
If you liked this recipe, then maybe you’ll like these…