Cinco de Mayo is in just a few weeks and we have a sweet treat that will make a fun addition to your Spanish celebrations – Piñata Cupcakes!
I have made these piñata cupcakes several times now. They are fun to serve, tasty to eat, and they are also really easy to prepare! (That’s my kind of recipe!!)
Can you imagine the look on your kids faces when they unsuspectingly bite into these? There will probably be a second or two of confusion wondering what they just bit into, but surely happy smiles and laughter will follow! Piñata cupcakes can be used for any occasion and filled with any small candies. Here is how to make them:
How To Make A Piñata Cupcake
Make The Cupcakes – Start by making your favorite cupcake recipe. When I’m planning a party, I like to keep things simple, so I just grab a box of cake mix from the store. I also love to use festive cupcake liners when I make these.
Open Them Up – Using a small knife, cut an opening in the top of each cupcake and hollow it out a little to form your “piñata”. Toss the portion from inside the cupcake and set just the top portion of the cupcake aside to be used later.
Fill’er Up – Next, fill each cupcake with your favorite candy. I have used sprinkles, mini M&Ms and Skittles before and they’ve always been a hit!
Cupcake Top – Place the top portion of the cupcake back on top to cover the candies you placed inside.
More Delicious Cupcake Recipes
- Easy Hot Cocoa Cupcakes
- Hostess Copycat Cupcake Recipe
- The Best Lemon Cupcakes
- Reese’s Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Simple Key Lime Cupcakes
These cupcakes are perfect for all kinds of parties and the kids (and adults) absolutely love them! Let us know if you make these Piñata Cupcakes by leaving us a comment below or tagging us on social media!
Easy Piñata Cupcakes
- Funfetti cake mix & ingredients from the back of the box
- Vanilla frosting
- Mini chocolate candies, I used mini M&Ms
- Bake cupcakes according to directions on the back of the box. Let cool completely.
- Using a small knife, cut holes into centers of each cupcake, saving the cut out portion for step 4.
- Fill center of cupcakes with miniature chocolate candies.
- Cut off top half of the removed portion of cupcakes and replace onto cupcakes, covering the candies.
- Frost and garnish with sprinkles.
Serve and enjoy!