Pumpkin Coffee Cake is deliciously moist and piled high with a simple crumb topping. This perfect Fall treat is made in a mug and will be ready in 3 minutes or less!
October 1st should be a holiday: National Now-Its-Acceptable-To-Eat-Pumpkin-In-Everything-Day. Am I right? Here are a few more pumpkin recipes we think you’ll love – Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate, Chocolate Pumpkin Muddy Buddies, Pumpkin Rolls, and Pumpkin Pancakes.
Pumpkin Coffee Cake
I usually don’t like to follow the crowd too much, but when it comes to pumpkin, I’ll do just about anything! Today I’m sharing a recipe for a single-serve pumpkin coffee cake that can be make in the microwave in under 5 minutes!
This simple pumpkin coffee cake recipe is fast and easy and doesn’t require anything fancy! No mixer, no weird ingredients – just a mug, a microwave, and a few items from your pantry. Mix up the ingredients, top it with streusel, pop in the microwave for a minute and you’ve got yourself a warm, autumn-spiced coffee cake that will curb even the strongest of pumpkin cravings!
Here is the easy recipe –
Pumpkin Coffee Cake in a Mug
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- vanilla extract, just a few drops
- 1/4 C All Purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground cloves
- For the Streusel Topping:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- In a mug soften 1 tbsp of butter in microwave, about 5 seconds. You don’t want it melted, just soft.
- Stir in 2 tbsp of sugar and mix until well incorporated.
- Stir in pumpkin, vanilla, flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt and cloves; stirring until just combined. Use the back of your spoon to smooth it out in the bottom of the mug.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine 1 tbsp of butter, 2 tbsp of flour, 1 tbsp of brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Use your fingers to to pinch the butter and mix it in with the other ingredients. When it starts to look like lumpy sand (appetizing, eh?) and all ingredients are combined, pour on top of cake batter in the mug.
- Cook in the microwave for 50-80 seconds depending on your microwave. (At 1 minute, my microwave cooks it perfectly.) It will look just barely set on top. You don’t want to overcook it - and things tend to get ugly fast in the microwave. I suggest cooking it 50 seconds, and then in 10 second intervals checking after each interval until done.
- Eat white it’s still warm. Once it cools off, it tends to lose some of it’s magic!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR – Heather is the recipe developer and photographer behind the blog Heather Loves Food. A former caterer, baker and cake decorator, she learned to love food in culinary school. She now passes that love and knowledge onto readers, hoping to empower home cooks with the skills they need to create flavor-packed meals. Heather was a food contributor on Somewhat Simple in 2016.