These delicious sweetheart cupcakes start with one of my new favorite treats – pink meringue cookies. They’re super easy to make and are fun way to top off your cupcakes.
We love dressing up our cupcakes with toppings that you wouldn’t normally think to use! Our New Year’s Eve Countdown Cupcakes use Oreos made into clocks, our Witch Hat Cupcakes use a shortbread cookie and Hershey Kiss, but hese Sweetheart Cupcakes use a meringue cookie that tastes amazing! (That’s not frosting on the top!!) Take a look and see how easy they are to make!
How to Make Meringue Cookies
Not only are Meringue cookies delicious to eat by themselves, they are a fun and tasty topping for your favorite cupcakes. They look adorable and they are easy to make too! Every time I make them for a party, so many people are pleasantly surprised to find the meringue cookie on top of the cupcakes, when it looks like it is a buttercream frosting!
One reason I love them as cupcake toppers is because you can make them in advance and then top your cupcakes right before your party or gathering. It sure makes your cupcake presentation simple and fast! (YAY!)
More Frosting Recipes and Cupcake Tips
- How to Frost Cupcakes – Easy Cupcake Frosting Tips
- Best Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- Fancy Cupcake Fillings and Frosting
With cooled cupcakes and meringues, it’s time to assemble your Sweetheart Cupcakes!
- cupcakes, homemade or store bought
- buttercream frosting, homemade or store-bought
- Add a little buttercream frosting to the top of your cupcake and gently place your meringue on top. Be careful not to push too hard, you don’t want to crush the meringue.
How fun are these??? Let me know how you like them! Happy Baking! Here is the simple recipe:
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 3/4 cup Baker's sugar
- food coloring & flavoring, optional
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until foamy.
- Add Cream of Tartar, beat on high and gradually add sugar, mixing until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Place your meringue mixture into a large pastry bag fitted with your favorite decorating tip, I used a large French tip.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a non stick baking mat, pipe large meringue swirls about 1.5 inches in diameter and 2 inches apart.
- Bake meringues for 3 hours or until meringues are completely dry and crunchy on the outside.
These were soo fun to make!! Thanks for sharing!
These are incredible!! Love the meringue cookie on top of the cupcake. I hadn’t thought to do that, but it goes so well with it. Love how airy & melt in your mouth delicious they are!
This was such a cute idea! It really did look like frosting!
I know, I just love that!
these were so adorable and delicious!
That looks awesome, very cute & delicious!