Add some fun to your food with these colorful mini whoopie pies! A delicious frosting sandwiched between everyone’s favorite part of a cupcake…the cupcake tops!
Here are a few more cupcake ideas we love – Make Your Own Bakery-Style Cupcake Liners, Hot Cocoa Cupcakes, Pacifier Cupcake Toppers, Easy Cupcake Decorating Ideas, Creative Cupcakes, and Royal Icing Cupcake Garnishes,
A Dessert For Any Occasion
If you’ve never made Whoopie Pies before, you are in for a special treat! These little bites are a quick and easy way to add some color and fun to your next celebration! I found this idea years ago from Betty Crocker and we’ve made them several times in my home. They call them “cupcake poppers”, I just call them DELICIOUS!
They are perfect for birthday parties, baby showers, Halloween, 4th of July… they are a tasty treat that’s easy to customize and match to a certain color scheme. Most recently we made them for our Super Bowl party and we had the whoopie pies in the colors of our favorite team. (They are kind of perfect for any occasion!)
How to Make Mini Whoppie Pies
Ingredients – First, grab 1 box of white cake mix and the ingredients listed on the box. You’ll also need food coloring and frosting – our favorite recipe is HERE.
The Batter – Make the cake batter according to package directions, then separate it into four different bowls. There should be about 1 1/4 cups batter in each.
Color It – Add food coloring to each bowl and mix well. I used about 5 or 6 drops in each bowl.
Cook – Spoon the batter into mini cupcake tins and bake for them for 8-10 minutes at 350° F, or until they pass the toothpick test. Let them cool completely.
Frosting – If you want to tint the frosting, separate it into small bowls and add 5-6 drops of food coloring to each bowl, then mix well.
Cut – Once the cupcakes are cool, cut off the tops with a serrated knife. You can shamelessly eat the bottoms (no judging here!) or use them to make Cake Pops!
Frost – Pipe or spread a little frosting onto the underside of one of the tops and then sandwich another top of the same color on top of the frosting complete these mini whoopie pies.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- The Best Cake Mix Cookies
- Homemade Fudge Brownies
- Fun Piñata Cupcakes Recipe
- Heavenly Strawberry Cake
- Delicious Lemon Cheesecake Bars
Aren’t these mini whoopie pies the cutest? (And they taste great too!!!) . Here is the printable recipe card –
Whoopie Pie Cupcake Poppers
- 1 box of white cake mix + ingredients listed on the box
- food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Make the cake batter according to package directions, then separate into 4 different bowls, about 1 1/4 cups batter in each.
- Add 5-6 drops of food coloring to each bowl and mix well.
- Spoon batter into mini cupcake tins and bake for 8-10 minutes or until they pass the toothpick test. Let them cool completely.
- Meanwhile, separate frosting into 4 small bowls, and add 5-6 drops of food coloring to each and mix well.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, cut off the tops with a serrated knife. Use the bottoms to make Cake Pops, or eat them! No judging here!
- Pipe or spread a little color-coordinated frosting onto the underside of one of the tops and then sandwich another top of the same color on top of the frosting.
Eat and Enjoy!
(This idea was originally published in May 2011)