Here is a festive treat you can serve at your New Years Eve party- countdown cupcakes! You can get as creative or as homemade as you’d like- we, of course, like to keep it simple! A boxed cupcake mix with store-bought frosting doesn’t take away from how fun these are!
And if that wasn’t frustrating enough, this is what happened 30 minutes later with a new batch of cupcakes:
One cupcake literally jumped off the tray I was carrying across the room. No one nudged my elbow, I didn’t trip or anything crazy- the cupcake was perfectly stable one second and then dead on the floor the next. What the heck?!
I almost gave up. But since these Countdown Cupcakes are so easy (minus being accident-prone) I made one more, quickly snapped some pictures and called it GOOD!
Here is how you do it:
- 1 Box Cake Mix (plus ingredients from back of box)
- 1 Tub Whipped Vanilla Frosting
- 24 Oreo Cookies
- Black Food-Safe Marker/Pen
- Cook cake-mix according to cupcake directions on the back of the box. Let them cool completely.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes with a decorating bag and tip.
- Carefully remove one side of the Oreo cookies, exposing the frosting. If cookie crumbs are present on the frosting, use a sharp knife to carefully scrape a thin layer off of the frosting, removing the crumbs with it.
- Using a food safe marker or pen, draw a clock face onto the frosting of the Oreo cookies. Place cookie clocks on top of frosted cupcakes.
- Finish off the cupcakes with colorful sprinkles.
Assuming you don’t have any backdrop blunders or crazy cupcakes, you’re done and ready to wow your New Years guests!
Happy New Year!