This recipe for vanilla almond pound cake is simple and easy to make using ingredients typically found in the house, and tastes fantastic!
If you love pound cake as much as I do, you’ll also want to try this delicious Lemon Pound Cake recipe as well.
Easy Almond Pound Cake Recipe
With all the cakes and cupcakes that I bake, I realized recently that I’ve never made a pound cake! I love to eat pound cake, but I usually just buy it pre-made from Costco instead of making my own. This recipe for vanilla almond pound cake was the perfect recipe to get me started.
It’s so simple and easy to make, and it uses ingredients I always have in the house. My favorite thing about pound cake is that it’s so rich and moist, while still tender, and this vanilla almond pound cake has that perfect pound cake texture! Did I mention it also tastes fantastic? It is seriously delicious!
What Is Pound Cake?
Traditional pound cake is made using a pound of each ingredient needed to make the cake; flour, sugar, butter and eggs. Because you needed one pound of each ingredient, it came to be known as pound cake.
Tools Used To Make Vanilla Pound Cake
- I used my favorite KitchenAid mixer
- Bread pans
- My favorite kitchen knives to cut the cake and slice fresh fruit
How To Make Almond Pound Cake
Prep – Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. I used 4 mini loaf pans to make these but you can substitute those and just use one regular-size pan for a bigger loaf. Regardless, give your loaf pan a shot of cookie spray to keep it from sticking.
The Batter – Start by beating the butter and sugar together in the stand mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Next, add in one egg at a time until they’re fully combined. Then you’ll pour in the vanilla and almond extract and let it fully mix in. Then you’ll mix in the salt and baking powder. With the mixer on the low speed, add in half of the flour. Once mixed in, add in the sour cream and then add in the other half of the flour.
Cook – Pour the batter into the loaf pans and then place them in the oven. If you’re using the mini pans, you’ll bake them for about 30-35 minutes. If you go with the 1 larger pan, then you’ll bake it for 50-60 minutes. Once they are golden brown on top, you can check to see if they’re ready using a toothpick. Simply stick it in the center of the loaf and if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
How To Serve Almond Pound Cake
I love using pound cake to make strawberry shortcake, so I chopped up a few strawberries and put them on top of the pound cake, with some whipped cream on the side. It was perfection! A super delicious and stunning dessert that’s also incredibly easy to make.
This pound cake would also be delicious with other fresh berries, or with fresh peaches. It’s also pretty tasty all by itself!
Pound Cake Variations
This recipe is very versatile and it would be easy to change up the flavors by adding some orange or lemon zest, or mixing some coconut into the batter. After trying this homemade version, I’m never going back to the store-bought variety! 🙂
More Easy Cake Recipes
If you loved this vanilla pound cake recipe, here are a few more cake recipes we think you’ll love!
- Strawberry Shortcake Roll
- Easy Strawberry Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Key Lime Cake Recipe
Vanilla Almond Pound Cake Recipe
for serving (optional):
- fresh berries, or any fruit
- whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray 4 mini loaf pans (or one regular size loaf pan) with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, and mix to combine. Add the vanilla and almond extract and mix to combine. Mix in the baking powder and salt. With the mixer running on low speed, add half of the flour, followed by the sour cream, and then the remaining flour, and mix until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan(s) and smooth the top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes for mini loaves or 50-60 minutes for a full size loaf, or until the loaf is lightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the top comes out clean. Remove and let cool. Serve with fresh berries and whipped cream, if desired.