Delicious Gyro Salad, coming right up!
Hands down, Gyros are one of the top favorite take-out foods in our house. Really, what’s not to love? Pillowy soft bread, juicy and flavorful meat, and fresh crunchy veggies. And I could wax poetic about that creamy, dreamy tzatziki sauce. It’s really the cherry on top of the deliciousness sundae.
While it’s great to grab a few gyros and bring them home, we, like many others, try to limit our take-out nights. Of course we don’t stop craving those flavors, so that’s when we are challenged to recreate them at home. That’s how this gyro salad was created, and it includes all of the fantastic flavors and elements, right down to that tzatziki sauce.
- 1 lb. lean ground Pork
- 3 Tablespoons Greek Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried Mint, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, unflavored
- 1/2 cup grated Cucumber
- 1 teaspoon dried Dill, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano, crushed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
You will also need:.
- Romaine Lettuce, sliced Tomatoes, sliced Cucumbers, sliced Red Onion, crumbled Feta cheese
- Pita wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine ground pork, Greek seasoning, mint, olive oil, milk and egg. Mix well, and place by spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.
- Using a fork, flatten into oval shapes, leaving ridges with the fork. Place in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Switch to the broiler and brown the meat for 3-5 minutes, or just until the ridges on the meat become darker and crispy. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, combine the yogurt, grated cucumber, dill, and oregano in a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. The sauce will become a bit thinner as it sits due to the water content of the cucumber. This is fine, as it makes it a good consistency for drizzling over the salad.
- To serve, pile lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion, and crumbled feta on plates. Top with the gyro meat and tzatziki sauce. Serve with warmed pita wedges, and marvel at the flavor of take-out in your own home!