These easy Halloween Popcorn Pumpkin Balls are a fun little treat that are perfect for any fall party!
A Festive Fall Treat
Pumpkin Popcorn Balls have become a fall tradition in our home. We make them every year, and my kids never get sick of them!
These little popcorn balls are shaped like pumpkins, but they’re flavored by orange jello. If you’ve never tried Jello popcorn, you’re in for a treat! It’s so easy and surprisingly tasty!
How To Make Halloween Popcorn Balls
- 1/2 c butter (I prefer unsalted butter if you’re popcorn is salted.)
- 3 oz orange Jello, 1 box
- 1/4 c corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 12 cups popped popcorn – make sure you get all the un-popped kernels out!
- 12 Tootsie Roll mini candies
- 12 Green candies, Airheads, Green Apple Tootsie Rolls, or Laffy Taffys, etc.
Melt & Mix – In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the half a cup of butter and then stir in the orange jello and corn syrup. Put the mixture back in the microwave and heat it again until it boils. I usually warm it for one minute and then add more time if needed.
Next, mix in the baking soda and stir everything until really well combined, about 2-3 minutes.
Add Popcorn – Mix in enough popcorn to the jello mixture so that all of the popcorn has been evenly covered. Then, microwave everything for 30 seconds.
Form & Decorate – Spray your hands with cooking spray so the popcorn doesn’t stick to your hands. Take a handful of popcorn and form it in a ball to your desired size. Add a mini Tootsie Roll to the top for the stem of the pumpkin, (you could also use stick pretzels) and add a green piece of candy for a leaf. You’ll want to make sure you add these decorations while the pumpkin popcorn balls are still warm so it’s easy to add.
Store – Popcorn balls can be stored in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap at room temperature for 3-5 days.
Variations – Add Halloween Sprinkles, candy corn
More Fun Halloween Treats
- Halloween Soda Labels Free Printable
- Easy To Make Witch Hat Cupcakes
- Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
- Halloween Mummy Sugar Cookies
- Throwing Up Pumpkin Guacamole
HERE’S A FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Halloween Pumpkin Popcorn Balls
- In microwavable bowl, melt 1/2 c butter.
- Stir in jello and corn syrup.
- Microwave again until it reaches a full boil (try 1 min. then more if needed). Stir.
- Mix in baking soda. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in popcorn. (I never actually measure, I just add until its all covered evenly.)
- Microwave the whole thing for 30 seconds more. (You can do more if you prefer it crispy instead of gooey.)
- Have the kids form them into balls. (We use plastic bags with a little non-stick spray on them as gloves for the kids.)
- Add tootsie roll minis for the stems and shape your green candy for the leaf. Be sure to press the stem in while the popcorn ball is still warm and pliable.
About the Author: Ashleigh is the creative mom of three and blogger from Bee in Our Bonnet. Ashleigh spent a few years blogging on Somewhat Simple as our Baking Contributor.