These simple and easy Halloween popcorn pumpkin balls are a fun Halloween treat that are perfect for any party and the kids will absolutely love them!
A Festive Halloween Treat
Fall is here!!! I’m ready for some pumpkin treats and this one can be done without firing up the oven or stove- you can whip up these pumpkin popcorn balls in the microwave! They are shaped like pumpkins, but not flavored like pumpkins. They are actually flavored by orange jello. Jello popcorn is tried and true around here. (It’s so easy and surprisingly tasty!
These popcorn ball pumpkins are a fun fall treat tradition. We’ve made them the past several years and the kids love them every time. We even have made them for school class parties and they’re always a hit!
How To Make Halloween Popcorn Balls
Melt & Mix – In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the half a cup of butter and then stir in the orange jello and corn syrup. Put the mixture back in the microwave and heat it again until it boils. I will start by warming it for one minute and then adding more time if needed. Next, you’ll mix in the baking soda and then stir everything for about 2-3 minutes.
Add Popcorn – Mix in enough popcorn to the jello mixture so that all of the popcorn has been evenly covered. Then, microwave everything for about 30 seconds.
Form & Decorate – Take a handful of popcorn and form it in a ball to your desired size. Add a mini Tootsie Roll to the top for the stem of the pumpkin. The add a green piece of candy for a leaf. You’ll want to make sure you add these decorations while the pumpkin popcorn balls are still warm so it’s easy to add.
Popcorn Pumpkin Assembly Tips
Crispy Popcorn – If you like your popcorn a little crispier, on the last step, leave it in the microwave for another 30 seconds.
Clean Hands – If you don’t have plastic gloves lying around, try using plastic bags and spraying them with cooking spray before forming the popcorn balls into pumpkins.
More Delicious Halloween Treats
- Halloween Soda Labels Free Printable
- Easy To Make Witch Hat Cupcakes
- Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
- Halloween Mummy Sugar Cookies
- Throwing Up Pumpkin Guacamole
Leave us a comment below and let us know how you liked these popcorn balls. Follow us on social media so you can see all of our latest recipes. Then tag us when you serve these at your next Halloween party so we can see all of the fun you’re having!
Halloween Pumpkin Popcorn Balls
- 1/2 c butter
- 3 oz orange Jello, 1 box
- 1/4 c corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 12 cups popped popcorn, approx
- 12 Tootsie Roll mini candies
- Green candies- You can shape Starbursts, green apple Tootsie Rolls, or Laffy Taffys. In the picture above we used green air heads. This is a "use whatever you can find" situation.
- In microwavable bowl, melt 1/2 c butter.
- Stir in jello and corn syrup.
- Microwave again until it reaches a full boil (try 1 min. then more if needed). Stir.
- Mix in baking soda. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in popcorn. (I never actually measure, I just add until its all covered evenly.)
- Microwave the whole thing for 30 seconds more. (You can do more if you prefer it crispy instead of gooey.)
- Then have the kids form them into balls. (We use plastic bags with a little non-stick spray on them as gloves for the kids.)
- Add tootsie roll minis for the stems and shape your green candy for the leaf. Be sure to press the stem in while the popcorn ball is still warm and pliable.
About the Author: Ashleigh is the creative mom of three and blogger from Bee in Our Bonnet. Ashleigh spent a few years blogging on Somewhat Simple as our Baking Contributor.