Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats make a fun, kid friendly dessert that’s perfect for Halloween! Not only are they a lot of fun to make but they taste amazing!
Rice krispie treats are one of my favorite things to make because they can be decorated in so many fun ways. Some of our other favorite rice krispie treat recipes are these other fun Halloween rice krispie treats, rice krispie snowmen, and rice krispie treats on a stick.
A Fun Halloween Treat
The shops near me this year seem to have forgotten about Halloween and they’ve gone right to Christmas. I’m definitely not ready for that, so I wanted to come up with something fun and festive to celebrate Halloween. My kids love Rice Krispie treats! Every time I make a batch they disappear within minutes.
The great thing about these tasty treats is that you can dress them up any way you like depending on the time of year. That’s why today I’m coming at you with these darling Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats. Your kids will love decorating these fun treats, and they’re easy to make. They’ll be ready to devour in under an hour!
How To Make Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
Prep – Grease your square baking pan and then line it with a double layer of plastic wrap.
Heat It Up – Put the marshmallow fluff and butter into a large saucepan and then heat everything up using low heat. You’ll want to continuously stir everything so it doesn’t burn. Keep stirring until everything has melted and blended together. Add in the green food coloring a few drops at a time until you get your desired shade of green.
Mix – Add the Rice Krispies to the pan and mix everything until they are all coated with the green marshmallow mixture.
Spread & Cool – Spread the Rice Krispies mixture evenly into your baking pan and press it down so it’s nice an level. Next, place the pan in the fridge for about 30 minutes to cool.
Cut & Decorate – Once the rice krispie treats have cooled, you’ll want to cut them into small rectangles about 2″ x 2.5″. You’ll start by melting the candy coating in the microwave using 30 second increments. Stir after heating and then repeat the process until everything has melted.
Dip – First, take about 1/4 of the mixture and place it in a Ziploc bag and set it aside. Then you’ll want to dip each rice krispie treat into the bowl to create Frankenstein’s hair line. Once you’ve dipped each rice krispie treat, set it on a wire rack to set.
Attach The Eyes – Using a toothpick, place a little bit of the candy coating to the back of the candy eye balls and attach them to each treat.
Make The Mouth – Next, you’ll cut a small hole in the corner of the Ziploc bag and then pipe a small line across the treat and then vertical lines on top to create the mouth.
Neck Bolts – To create the bolts on Frankenstein’s neck, you’ll stick a toothpick through the side of each rice kristie treat and then attach a small marshmallow to each side.
Set & Serve – Once you’ve decorated each Frankenstein rice krispie treat, set them aside to let everything set for about 20 minutes. Once they decorations have set, serve and enjoy!
More Fun Halloween Ideas
- Pumpkin Popcorn Balls Recipe
- Throwing Up Pumpkin Guacamole
- Adorable Mummy Halloween Sugar Cookies
- How To Make Witch Hat Cupcakes
- Halloween Soda Label Printables
I hope you enjoy the mess and fun of making these darling rice krispie treats! These Frankenstein Rice Krispie treats are perfect for a Halloween party, but simple enough to make for a quick afternoon snack. Best of all? They taste as good as they look! Leave us a comment below and let us know how they turned out!
Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- One 7.5oz jar of Marshmallow Fluff
- ½ stick butter
- 6-8 drops green food coloring
- 5 cups rice krispies
- 8 oz black or dark cocoa Wilton candy melts*
- 16 candy eyes
- 16 mini marshmallows
- 9 to othpicks
- *Note for the hair/mouth: If you can get your hands on black Wilton candy coating, then use that. It is ALWAYS out of stock whenever I look, so I used the Wilton candy coating in Dark Cocoa and it worked just as well!
- Grease and line an 8x8 inch square pan with a double layer of cling wrap.
- Place marshmallow fluff and butter into a large saucepan over a low heat. Stir continuously until all the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Add in the green food coloring a few drops at a time. Stir until you’re happy with the color.
- Mix in the rice krispies, adding 1 cup at a time, until they are all coated in the green marshmallow mixture.
- Tip the mixture into your prepared pan and press into an even layer with a spatula.
- Leave to set for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Once chilled, transfer the krispie treats from the pan to a cutting board and cut into 2.5 x 2 inch rectangles.
- Place a wire rack over kitchen paper and get ready to decorate!
- Place the candy coating into a medium sized shallow bowl and place in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between until all the coating is melted.
- Take ¼ of the mixture and place in a small Ziploc bag. Leave to one side. Dip the top of each cut krispie treat into the bowl of melted candy coating. You want it to come ¼ - ½ inch of the way down the krispie treat; this is his hair line. Repeat with all of your krispie treats and then place them on the wire rack to set.
- Use one of the toothpicks to place a little of the extra candy coating onto the back of your candy eyes and stick them to the front of your krispie treats, about ½ inch from the “hair”.
- Snip a tiny hole into the end of your Ziploc bag and pipe a line ½ inch away from the candy eyes across the krispie treat. Then pipe a line perpendicular to the line across the treat at either end. Pipe two more along the line to create his mouth.
- You can also pipe a zig zag line for his mouth, whichever you prefer.
- Poke the remaining toothpicks through the side of each krispie treat in line with the mouth. Place a mini marshmallow on each end of the toothpick.
- Repeat until all of your krispie treats are decorated, then leave to set for 20-25 minutes.
- Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature for 3 days, or in the fridge for 5 days.
So easy and fun to make with the family. These are perfect for Halloween!!!
These disappeared within minutes of making them! Such a great recipe!
I’m so glad to hear they were so popular!
So much fun for Halloween and so easy to make with the kiddos!
What a fun dessert! This was perfect to make with the kids; too cute!
I’m so glad they enjoyed making them!
These are such a great rice krispie treat idea! My kids loved them!
My kids love making these too!