A family vacation to Greer, AZ is the perfect way to escape the crowds and heat of the Phoenix valley and enjoy the beautiful White Mountains of Arizona!
If you love traveling with your family as much as we do, here are a few more ideas we think you’ll love – Niagara Falls with the Kids, Family Fun in Phoenix, Boston Family Travel, Traveling Europe by Train, and Kauai Family Travel Guide.
Greer, Arizona is a quaint and cozy town that offers visitors fun things to do and see in the gorgeous White Mountains of Arizona. This village of Greer features a rural forest backdrop with blue skies, crystal clear rivers and lakes, and a small-town feel that will surely make you smile!
Where is Greer, AZ
Greer is about 220 miles northeast of Phoenix, 240 miles northeast of Tucson, and 220 miles southwest of Albuquerque.
Driving from Phoenix to Greer usually takes just under 4 hours, barring any traffic or weather-related conditions.
Greer is a 30-45 minute drive from the White Mountain towns of Show Low and Pinetop-Lakeside, and only 17 miles from Springerville if you drive on the AZ Highway 260.
Family Vacation to Greer, AZ
Here are all the details of our family trip to the small town of Greer – Who, What, Where, When & Why!
WHO went – We took the whole family! Me, my husband, grandma, and 5 kids, ranging in age from 3 – 14 years.
WHAT we did –
- we went tubing at Sunrise Park Resort
- we played in the snow (we don’t get snow in Phoenix!)
- we enjoyed cozy nights with a bon fire + s’mores
- we convinced our 3 oldest kids into trying the winter zip line experience
WHERE we stayed – Greer Lodge Resort + Cabin Rentals
There are campgrounds and places to park your RVs, but we couldn’t have been happier with the family-friendly cabin accommodations at our cabin! Here’s what we loved –
- All 8 of us slept very comfortably – there were 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms + a big kitchen, dining room and living room that was clean and furnished nicely!
- It was a great space to relax, with cable TV and wi-fi for optional entertainment.
- Our cabin was 30 steps from the lake, and my kids fell in love with the resident ducks that greeted us each morning and afternoon!
- Greer Lodge Resort & Cabins offered complimentary board games that my kids absolutely LOVED
- They have an abundance of activities for guests to enjoy, depending on what time of year you visit – fishing, hiking, bon fires etc.
- We were walking distance to a couple delicious restaurants – Molly Butlers and Rendezvous Cafe.
- Molly’s had the friendliest staff and their food was pure comfort! Try their Clam Chowder and Vegetable Beef with Barley soup – you will not be disappointed! Their hamburger was amazing and the homemade mac and cheese got rave reviews from my kids. (Just thinking about it makes me hungry!) Don’t forget to save room for dessert ’cause their pie is worth any and all vacation weight-gain, I promise! We tried their Brownie Sundae on night one and their Fruits of the Forest Pie on night two – both were fantastic, I can’t pick a favorite!
- Rendezvous had the most charming setting with vintage soda bottles and memorabilia covering nearly every inch of the restaurant. My family unanimously voted their homemade muffins as the best items on the menu! Rendezvous Diner was also the restaurant where I may have ordered Peach Cobbler for breakfast our second morning there. (I couldn’t pass it up, and I am the mom so I can totally get away with eating what I want!)
WHEN we went –
We were there the first weekend in March. The weather was a bit cold for our Phoenix blood, but the sun was shining and I think it was perfect – especially for my kids who were dying to play in the snow! (They didn’t seem fazed by the cooler temperatures at all!)
We stayed two days and two nights- which seemed perfect, though if we were there during warmer weather I could have easily spent a couple more days hiking and exploring!
WHY you should go-
Greer is like a hidden gem in the White Mountains of Eastern Arizona. I’ve lived in Phoenix for over 10 years and I had no idea what fun awaited in Greer. Unlike your typical hotel/resort vacation spots, Greer is a quiet mountain town with everything you need within walking distance.
There is literally something for everyone. Cross-country skiers, mountain bikers, hikers, and families who just want a quiet weekend away will all have so much fun in Greer. We absolutely LOVED it!
More Things to Do in Greer Arizona –
I would LOVE to make another trip during the summer! The pictures of Greer in the summertime are gorgeous, and there is so much to do –
- Greer Days Festival (in June) includes a 5K Fun Run, Silent Auction, Lucky Duck Race, Desperados Western Shootout, homemade ice cream, music, and dancing.
- Visit the Butterfly Lodge Museum – Step back in time and learn about Greer’s rich history in this over 100-year-old log cabin, with its original floors, windows, fireplace and many artifacts that belonged to James Schultz, “Lone Wolf” and his wife Naomi. Built in 1913, the log cabin’s name “Apuni Oyis” in Blackfeet was inspired by the countless butterflies in the meadows surrounding the cabin. This museum is a House Museum listed on The National Register of Historic Places.
- Hike East Fork Trails – This trail is open to hiking, horseback riding and mountain bicycling. It is closed to motorized vehicles. More info HERE.
- Sunrise Ski Resort offers downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, snowboarding, ski bikes, and they have lessons available for all ages. In the summer, enjoy zip-lining, downhill mountain biking, archery, disc golf, and more!
- The White Mountains house easily accessible Lakes for ice fishing.
- Show Low Lake
- Rainbow Lake
- Woodland Lake
- Nelson Reservoir
- A-1 Lake
- Big Lake (snow-mobile accessible only)
- Sunrise Lake
- Luna Lake
- Visit Casa Malpais Archaeological Park- Located near Springerville, Casa Malpais is an ancient pueblo from the Mogollon Culture, built and occupied between 1250 and 1340 AD. Today it is an archaeological site that contains a Great Kiva constructed of volcanic rock, an astronomical calendar, ancient stairways, and rock art from the Mogollon culture.
Have I convinced you to book your getaway to Greer, AZ yet???
Have so much fun!