Brazilian ham and cheese rolls will give you a delicious and authentic taste of Brazil. Served hot and made with smoked ham and mozzarella cheese this recipe is easy to make and is a perfect snack or a light lunch.
Is there anything better than freshly baked bread topped with delicious cheeses right out of the oven? Cheesy Breadsticks, Cheddar French Peasant Bread, Parmesan Pretzel Bites…. they not only taste amazing, they are also so easy to bake! Today I am going to show you another bread + cheese recipe that it traditionally made in Brazil but really needs to make an appearance in your home… stat!
Hot Ham and Cheese Rolls
When the Summer Olympics were held in Brazil, we brought some of the Carnival culture into our home by way of their delicious food! Each night we ate a popular Brazilian dish for dinner and we’d watch the highlights of the Olympic Games together.
While many people think Brazilian food is similar to most Hispanic cuisines, the truth is Brazil’s main influence is European. Rather than being heavy on the spices, Brazilian dishes are usually centered around hearty breads and pastries.
The flavors of these baked Brazilian ham and cheese rolls are certainly familiar to us here in the States. However, these rolls are put together in a slightly different way that will give us a more authentic taste of Brazil. Served hot from the oven, these rolls make a delicious meal or an afternoon snack and were definitely one of our favorite Brazilian recipes that we tried.
Some of our other favorites were –
- Feijoada (pronounced fay-zhoh-AH-dah) – a Brazilian stew of black beans, sausages and cuts of pork
- Coxinhas – delicious chicken fritters
- Bacalhao (pronounced bah-kah-LYAU) – Salted Cod Fish typically baked with olives, onions, potatoes, and tomatoes and served with a drizzle of olive oil and white rice on the side
- BBQ’d Meat – premium cuts of meat simply seasoned with coarse salt, before being grilled to perfection over charcoal.
- Empadão (pronounced em-pah-DAOU) – similar to a chicken pot pie, the empadão is a torte filled with chicken and/or a mix of vegetables.
- Pão de queijo – a small baked cheese-flavored roll
How To Make A Ham & Cheese Roll
Dough Preparation – First, roll out your dough onto a very lightly floured surface. Your dough should be roughly 10 inches by 12 inches. Spread butter over the dough and then cut it into 6 equal pieces.
Fill The Roll – Using one piece at a time, layer on cheese, ham, a sprinkle of oregano and a sprinkle of black pepper.
Seal The Roll – Fold in the edges and roll up, pressing the seams tightly to seal. Place seam side down on a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, placing them about 2 inches apart. Repeat with remaining dough, butter, ham, and cheese.
Baking – In a small bowl, combine egg with water to create an egg wash. Lightly brush onto rolls, then sprinkle each roll with a little black pepper and kosher salt. Place in preheated oven and bake until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes. The cheese may ooze out a little, and that’s okay.
Make Ahead & Storage
Can I Make These In Advance – Yes, you can make a batch of these delicious rolls and store them in the freezer to use later. Once the ham and cheese rolls have completely cooled, place them into a freezer bag and put them in the freezer where they can be stored for 2 months. When you’re ready to use them, let them thaw and then warm them to the desired temperature.
How To Store These Rolls – I always put any extras in a large storage bag and stick them in the fridge where they’ll stay fresh for about 5-7 days. I recommend reheating them in a toaster oven so the bread is crisp and not soggy.
More Ham & Cheese Recipes
- Ham & Cheese Sliders
- Ham and Potato Casserole
- Monty Cristo Sandwich
- Ham and Cream Cheese Roll Ups
- Hawaiian Ham Sandwiches
Baked Ham & Cheese Rolls Recipe
Let us know if you make these Brazilian ham and cheese rolls by leaving us a comment below, or by tagging us on social media. ¡Bom Apetite!
Brazilian Ham and Cheese Rolls
- 1 loaf Frozen Bread Dough, thawed
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, softened
- 4 ounces Mozzarella or Monterey Jack Cheese, sliced
- 12 small slices of Smoked Ham, sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Water
- Kosher Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough in half to make it easier to work with, and roll out onto a very lightly floured surface. Your dough should be roughly 10 inches by 12 inches.
- Spread the dough with half of the butter, then cut into 6 equal pieces.
- Using one piece at a time, layer on cheese, ham, a sprinkle of oregano and a sprinkle of black pepper.
- Fold in the edges and roll up, pressing the seams tightly to seal.
- Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet, placing them about 2 inches apart.
- Repeat with remaining dough, butter, ham, and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine egg with water to create an egg wash. Lightly brush onto rolls, then sprinkle each roll with a little black pepper and kosher salt.
- Place in preheated oven and bake until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes. The cheese may ooze out a little, and that’s okay.
- Serve warm right after baking, or at room temperature. They’re delicious either way.
This recipe makes 12 Rolls.