This easy Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe is loaded with fresh zucchini and chocolate chips. It’s a delicious breakfast, dessert, or afternoon treat!
Easy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
We’ve reached the time of Summer when all those spring gardens are blooming and it’s time to reap the fruits of our labor!
If you’re experiencing an abundance of zucchini, it’s time to take your favorite Zucchini Bread recipe to the next level by adding some rich chocolate flavor! Studded with chocolate chips, this double chocolate zucchini bread is perfectly moist and totally delicious!
How to Make Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- DRY INGREDIENTS – flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder
- SEASONINGS – salt, cinnamon, nutmeg
- WET INGREDIENTS – shredded zucchini, applesauce, eggs, milk, vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS – I used semisweet chocolate chips – they are my favorite!
- VARIATIONS – add nuts with your chocolate chips! Walnuts and pecans taste amazing!
PREP. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two 4×8 inch loaf pans. I like to line my pans with parchment paper so the loaves come out easier, but this in not necessary.
This recipe makes two standard-sized loaves. I sometimes make one standard loaf and then use the rest of the batter to make mini loaves to share with friends or to stash in my freezer for a later date.
MIX. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
QUESTION – Do you need to peel the zucchini before making zucchini bread?
ANSWER – No, but I prefer it. I like my zucchini to be a little less noticeable in my zucchini bread, so I take the rougher, darker peel off before I grate it with a box grater. The peel will soften up as it bakes, but I still prefer to take it off.
MIX. Add remaining ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, and mix until just combined.
FOLD. Fold in the chocolate chips, stirring gently until distributed.
BAKE. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the center of the bread removes cleanly.
COOK. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
SERVE. Slice into 1-inch slices and serve warm or at room temperature.
STORE. Store any leftovers in an airtight container. Bread will keep for several days in the fridge or on the counter.
More Zucchini Recipes
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups applesauce
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease two 4×8 inch loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick stuck in center of bread removes cleanly. Cool on rack 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR – Melanie is the delicious food blogger from Melanie Makes. She loves to make everyday eats a bit more interesting, and believes that every dessert can be made better with chocolate ganache! Melanie was a food contributor on Somewhat Simple in 2014.