I already have more zucchini than I am going to eat this summer, so I am always looking for delicious ways to use it. This zucchini bread french toast is so flavorful and delicious! My family greeted the breakfast with applause, so I know it was a win in my culinary world.
This is the recipe I adapted for the zucchini bread over at Food.com, but feel free to use your favorite. I actually cheated a bit and made the zucchini bread healthier, so it wasn’t too sweet when my kids poured on the syrup and my husband spooned on the whipped cream. This is a single recipe, so double or triple according to your needs.
ZUCCHINI BREAD INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini
- 1/2 cup oil (I used coconut)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
ZUCCHINI BREAD DIRECTIONS:
- In a medium bowl, stir the flour, soda, powder, salt cinnamon and nutmeg together.
- In a separate bowl beat the oil and brown sugar until combined.
- Add the eggs and stir after each addition.
- Stir in the zucchini.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour into a large loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes- one hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
ZUCCHINI BREAD FRENCH TOAST INGREDIENTS:
- zucchini bread loaf
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter
ZUCCHINI BREAD FRENCH TOAST DIRECTIONS:
- Let the zucchini bread cool completely. I think it works best to wait at least a day after the bread has been cooked before making the french toast. Slice the bread into about 1/2 inch slices.
- In a shallow bowl beat the eggs, then add the whole milk and vanilla and stir until combined.
- I like cooking my french toast on an electric griddle heated to 325 degrees, but a pan on a stove over medium heat works fine too.
- Grease the pan with about one tablespoon of butter, then dip the zucchini bread slices one at a time into the egg mixture.
- Place the bread slices on the griddle and cook until the bottom is brown, then flip and cook until the other side is brown.
- Serve with syrup, jam, fruit, cream.
Tell me that doesn’t look amazing!!!
. . . . .
Still too much zucchini at your house? Try these recipes: