This easy donut recipe is sure to be a hit with the kids!
This past Thanksgiving my creative sister in law gathered all 25 little cousins together to make a fun treat – homemade donuts! Not only do these donuts taste amazing, they were super fun and SIMPLE to make! These donuts only require the use of 2 ingredients, and you cannot mess them up. This easy donut recipe uses refrigerated biscuit dough and they taste JUST LIKE your favorite donut shop donuts. Don’t believe me? Give them a try!
Here is a short video of the entire process from start to finish:
Easy Donut Recipe
makes 8 donuts and 8 donut holes
For the Donuts-
- 1 tube of refrigerated biscuit dough (I used Pillsbury Grands)
- vegetable oil (enough to fill your frying pan so your raw dough is completely submerged.)
For the Icing-
- powdered sugar
- your favorite store-bought frosting
For the Decorations-
- cinnamon & sugar
- crushed nuts
- your favorite donut toppings!
For the Donuts-
- Heat oil over your stove in a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Pop open the tube of biscuits and flatten each of them just slightly with your hand.
- Press a small round cookie cutter into the center of each biscuit and pop out the middle. (If you don’t have a small cookie cutter, the cap of a water bottle or a small medicine cup both work too!)
- Gently place the dough into the oil and watch carefully as it begins to brown. Flip the dough with some tongs once the underside is golden.
- Continue frying until both sides of your donuts are light brown and cooked through the center.
*Tip- if your donut is not cooked in the center, turn the heat on your stove down just a bit. This will help them cook slower so the outsides don’t burn.
- Remove from the oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Pat the excess oil off and let it cool.
For the Frosting-
- Mix a splash or two of milk in a small bowl of powdered sugar and mix it until it it reaches the consistency you desire, adding more milk as needed.
- Buy frosting from the grocery store and heat it up in a microwave safe bowl. As it heats, the frosting turns into a runny liquid, perfect for dipping one side of a donut! (This is the best way to get a ton of flavors for your icing!)
- Once your donuts have cooled enough for the kids to handle them, dip one side in frosting and decorate with sprinkles -OR- dip both sides into a simple cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Eat & ENJOY!!!
WARNING: We are not responsible for the extra calories that will be consumed once you realize how easy and yummy these donuts are. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
This post was shared on Cute Girls Hairstyles in January 2016.