These lemon sugar cookie lemon have all the deliciousness of sugar cookies, but without the rolling and cutting. This tasty lemon bars recipe is topped with a to-die-for lemon buttercream!
Easy Lemon Cookie Bars
It’s summertime, which means it’s time to enjoy all of the amazing lemon dessert recipes. There’s just something about the warm weather that makes me crave that delicious lemon flavor. Add that flavor to a soft cookie and I’m hooked!
I am in love with all things lemon (seriously, I have a Pinterest board devoted just to lemon recipes) and these cookie lemon bars are that perfect balance of tart and sweet. The lemon adds great flavor but definitely isn’t too sour or overpowering. These cookie lemon bars are also creamy and sweet and perfect for satisfying that sweet tooth (and trust me, I have a killer sweet tooth!). This easy lemon bars recipe is definitely one you have to make!
I will never say no to a good sugar cookie! As much as I enjoy rolling them out and cutting them into fun shapes, sometimes I just don’t have the energy for it. That’s where these lemon sugar cookie bars come in. They’re just as delicious as regular sugar cookies, but so much quicker and easier to make. These delicious cookie bars are delicious a twist on my basic sugar cookie bar recipe, and I love their bright, sunny, lemony flavor!
How To Make Lemon Cookie Bars
Prep – Before you get started, you’ll want to preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. You’ll also want to line your 9×13 baking pan with either parchment paper to keep things from sticking and destroying your culinary masterpiece.
Wet Ingredients – Start by beating the butter and sugar together until it has a light and fluffy texture. Next, add in the lemon zest and continue to mix it until it’s fragrant. After that has mixed in, add the remaining wet ingredients to the mixer and keep stirring until it has a smooth texture.
Dough – After the wet ingredients have been fully blended together, it’s time to add the dry ingredients. Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the mixer and let it run until it has formed a crumbly dough.
Cook – Pour the dough into the baking pan and then press it down until you have formed an even layer. Before placing it in the oven, you’ll want to pierce the dough with a fork about a few inches to keep the dough from bubbling in the oven. Bake the lemon bars for about 17-20 minutes. The edges should be golden brown when they’re done. Let them cool completely before adding the frosting.
Frosting – To make the buttercream frosting, start by beating the powdered sugar and butter together until it’s creamy. Then add in the remaining ingredients and mix it until smooth. Add in the food coloring and then continue beating the frosting until it’s fluffy. Once done, spread it on the lemon cookie bars and enjoy!
More Lemon Dessert Recipes
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- Homemade Lemonade Recipe
- Lemon Cheesecake Mousse
- Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
- Frosted Lemonade Recipe
- Lemonade Chex Mix Recipe
Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe
for the cookies:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
for the frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk , or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 drops yellow food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil or parchment and set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest and beat until fragrant. Add the egg, egg white, sour cream, vanilla, and lemon extract, and beat until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix to form a crumbly dough.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan in an even layer. Pierce the dough with a fork every few inches to prevent it from bubbling while baking. Bake 17-20 minutes, or until light golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- When the cookies have cooled, beat together the butter and powdered sugar. Add the lemon juice, milk, and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Add the food coloring and beat on high until light and fluffy. Spread the frosting over the cooled cookie bars in an even layer.