Sugar cookie bars not only taste amazing, they are even easier to make than their sugar cookie cousin! This recipe has the same delicious taste without all of the rolling and cutting needed to make cookies.
Cookies are my favorite things to eat to satisfy my insatiable sweet tooth. Some of my favorites recipes are these Cake Mix Cookies, Jello Cookies, Chocolate Chip Cookies and these easy Sugar Cookies.
Best Sugar Cookie Bars
I love sugar cookies, and this sugar cookie bars recipe is freaking delicious! They’re thick, soft, and covered in a delicious frosting that will have you coming back for more. These sugar cookie bars might be even better than regular sugar cookies because they are so much simpler and less time consuming to make! Instead of rolling them out and cutting them into shapes, you just have to put the dough into a baking pan, flatten it and bake. It’s much easier to frost them too!
If you’ve never made sugar cookie bars with sour cream, you are in for a special treat! The base of the cookie bars is one we’ve had in my family for years, and the frosting recipe is from my mother in law. It is literally the best I’ve ever had. It has a strong vanilla flavor, and it is simple to make and so smooth. Seriously delicious!
One great thing about sugar cookies, or these sugar cookie bars is that they can be made for any occasion. If you just want a simple afternoon treat, they’re great for that. But because you can easily change the color of the frosting, these bars are perfect for any holiday or special occasion
How To Make Sugar Cookie Bars
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium sized bowl and then set it aside
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together for about 3 minutes until it becomes fluffy and light
- Add in the vanilla, egg and sour cream and then mix everything until combined
- Next, slowly add in the mixture of flour while you continue stirring
- Do this until everything has combined (at this point the dough will be crumbly)
- Place the batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan
- Using a spatula, evenly spread the batter in the pan
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the edges have just started to turn a golden brown
- Allow the pan and cookie bars to cool completely
- Make the frosting by mixing all of the ingredients until it becomes creamy
- If you want, add in the desired amount of food coloring
- Spread the frosting evenly over the sugar cookie bars
- But into squares and serve
Tips For Making Sugar Cookie Bars
- Be careful not to over cook these cookie bars. Once you see the edges begin to turn a golden brown, they’re ready to be taken out of the oven. They will finish cooking once they are out of the oven.
- To make frosting these a little easier, I’ll put spoon fulls of the frosting in random spots over the cookie bars and then spread it.
- Sometimes I’ll use a Cream Cheese Frosting on these cookie bars that is also super tasty!
- If your cookie bars came out a little hard, you either baked them a little too long or you over mixed the ingredients.
Sugar Cookie Variations
What I love most about this cookie bar recipe is that they are so versatile and can be used for any occasion. Simply change the color of the frosting a sprinkles for any type of gathering. Are you going to a baby shower? Go with a light blue or pink to celebrate the new addition. Do you have friends and family coming over for a holiday party? If so, top them with the traditional colors for that holiday. The possibilities are endless, but they always taste amazing!
How Long Do Sugar Cookie Bars Last
If you happen to have any left over, be sure to store them in an airtight container to keep them from getting hard. Also, be sure to store them in a cool place away from direct sunlight. If stored properly, these can easily be stored for about 4-5 days at room temperature before they get a little too hard for my liking. I also don’t like to refrigerate them because they tend to get a little hard when stored there.
Can You Freeze Sugar Cookies
Yes, you can freeze these cookie bars once they’ve been baked to be eaten later. If you plan to freeze them, don’t decorate them until they have thawed and your’re ready to use them. When you’re ready to serve them, place them in the refrigerator over night to thaw.
More Easy Cookie Bar Recipes
- Cheesecake Cookie Bars
- Rolo Cookie Bars
- Lemon Cookie Bars
- Caramel Cookie Bars
- Candy Cane Cocoa Cookie Bars
Easy Sugar Cookie Bars
Go ahead, give this delicious recipe a try. Leave us a comment below and let us know how much you enjoyed these cookie bars or tag us on social media and show us when you made them because we love to see what you’ve been up to in the kitchen!
Easy Sugar Cookie Bars
for the sugar cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 TBS sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
for the frosting
- 5 TBS unsalted butter, softened
- 3 TBS milk
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- food coloring, optional
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine your flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together your butter and sugar for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in your egg, sour cream and vanilla and mix till combined.
- Slowly add in your flour mixture while stirring until everything is combined. (The dough will be crumbly)
- Press the batter into a greased 9x13 baking dish and spread it out evenly with your hands or a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges just barely start to turn golden.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Mix together all your ingredients for your frosting until creamy.
- Add in desired amount of food coloring.
- Spread frosting evenly over cooled cookie bars.
- Cut into squares and serve.
These are such a great treat! I love that purple color!
These sound delicious! Dangerously good…
I can’t wait to try these!! They look SO good!!
Thanks! Let me know how they turn out.
These sugar cookie bars look so cute and inviting! Definitely a must try recipe!
These sugar cookie bars look so pretty and delicious too! A must make!
These bars are so pretty! Perfect for a Spring brunch!
These sugar cookie bars sound delicious! I wish I had one right now!