If you’ve never made galettes before, you’re in for a delicious treat! These easy blueberry galettes are way easier to make than pie, and they taste AMAZING!
For the past three summers, we have had a little tradition of spending a weekend with friends at their house in New Hampshire, which just so happens to be nestled in the midst of rows and rows of blueberry bushes. We spend the entire weekend elbow-deep in fresh blueberries! Last year, we decided to make these tasty little blueberry galettes, and this recipe has been a favorite of ours ever since!
What is a Galette?
A galette (pronounced Ga-let) is basically a flat, round pastry dough wrapped over a delicious filling. It is similar to a tart or a pie, but it doesn’t require as much work or any special baking pan or utensils. Galettes can be sweet or savory. When filled with meats and cheeses, a galette can serve as a beautiful main course. Usually, though, galettes are made sweet with fresh fruit, chocolates and other sweet ingredients, which produces a dessert that is both rustic and elegant at the same time.
How to Make a Galette
To make a blueberry galette, all you need is a flat surface for baking, a delicious flaky crust, and a fresh fruit filling.
- First cut your dough into 5 inch rounds using a cutter, or just grab a bowl, flip it upside down and cut around the rim to create 6 rounds of dough.
- Next wash and measure out your fruit. I’m using these deliciously fresh blueberries! Toss them in a bowl with sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, some vanilla, and a little cornstarch.
- Place the fruit in the center of your crusts.
- Next pleat the edges of your crust to create a rim. (Don’t worry… no one cares how it looks, they only care about how it tastes!)
- Brush on a little egg wash over the crust, and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake the blueberry galettes in the oven and voilà! A darling little pastry!
More Recipes Using Blueberries
- Healthy Blueberry Granola Bars
- Lemon & Blueberry Tartlets
- Delicious Blueberry Honey Butter
- The Best Blueberry Muffins
- Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
- Easy Blueberry Crumble Recipe
Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter so you can stay up to date on all of our delicious recipes. Also, let us know if you make these blueberry galettes by leaving us a comment in the section below, or by tagging us on social media!
Mini Blueberry Galettes Recipe
- 1 store-bought pie crust
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice and zest of 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll your prepared pie crust out on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough into 5 inch rounds using a cookie cutter or a small bowl as a guide. (You will need 6 rounds.)
- Place the rounds on parchment paper and carefully place them in the fridge until you are ready to assemble.
- In a bowl add the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice to make the filling. Gently stir until the berries are coated.
- Remove the rounds of dough from the fridge. Place 1/4 cup of filling in the center of your dough.
- Carefully fold up the edges creating small rim and place on your prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining 5 rounds of pie dough.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and milk.
- Brush the edges of each galette with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR – Shannon is the creative mom from I Knead to Bake. Shannon was a Food Contributor on Somewhat Simple in 2016.