Upside down pizza is a simple weeknight dinner that tastes delicious! All your favorite pizza toppings covered in a delicious crust baked to golden perfection!
We’ve rounded up all our favorite Pizza Recipes in one place! Did yours make the list?
A Fun Casserole Idea
Calling all PIZZA LOVERS! Is there anything better than a quick and easy pizza dinner on a crazy, hectic night? My opinion is NO!
This recipe needs to get added to your menu plan THIS WEEK! It’s super easy and quick to throw together. Plus, there are no crazy ingredients, which makes this no-fuss recipe absolutely perfect to keep on hand. And besides, who doesn’t love a new pizza recipe?
Here’s how to make it –
Ingredients for Upside Down Pizza
- Ground Beef + Marinara Sauce – This will be the filling base for your casserole.
- Toppings – I keep it simple with just some mini pepperonis, but you can add whatever meats, fruits and veggies you’d like!
- Cheese – Use classic Mozarella cheese, or switch it up with your favorites!
- Crust – You can use refrigerated pizza crust, homemade crust, or you can use refrigerated crescent rolls!
How To Make Upside Down Pizza
- PREP – You’ll want to start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees. Be sure to also give your 9×13 inch casserole dish a shot with some cooking spray.
- BROWN – Throw the ground beef in a skillet and cook it until it’s brown. Then rinse and drain it.
- SAUCE – Stir in the pasta sauce and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- TOPPINGS – Add in the pepperoni slices and any of your other favorite toppings that you’d like to include. Continue cooking everything for about another 2 minutes, or until heated through. Then remove it from the heat.
- CHEESE + TRANSFER – Stir in the cheese and then transfer the meat mixture to your casserole pan.
- DOUGH – Place the pizza dough over the meat mixture. You’ll want to cut four slits into the dough to allow it to vent.
- BRUSH + SPRINKLE – Finally, brush the dough with some olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. This will give the dough a nice golden brown color.
- BAKE – Bake for the casserole for about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden. Let it stand for 10 minutes before serving to thicken up.
More Easy Pizza Ideas
Here’s a printable recipe card for your convenience –
Upside Down Pizza Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 jar, 25.5 oz pasta sauce
- 1 cup mini pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, 8 oz
- 1 can, 8 oz refrigerated pizza dough or refrigerated crescent dough sheet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Spray a 13×9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Brown ground beef in a skillet, then rinse and drain.
- Stir in Pasta Sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the pepperoni slices and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese.
- Transfer meat mixture to your casserole pan. Place pizza dough over the meat mixture. Cut 4 slits in the dough to vent.
- Brush the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe originally published on Somewhat Simple in December 2009.