These Grilled Cheese Pizza Dippers were a serendipitous discovery. When my now-7-year-old was just a baby, I was planning on making grilled cheese for dinner (because that’s a great way for a mom with a newborn to feed a family with a picky 3-year-old!). I went to the fridge to get what I needed, and I was sad to realize that we were out of cheddar cheese. I did what any desperate mom would do at dinner time…I started looking for something to sub in! I quickly found some mozzarella and pepperoni, and so were born these easy, quick and kid-pleasing Grilled Cheese Pizza Dippers. They go together in a snap, and it’s a nice variation if your kids ask for grilled cheese as much as mine!
I watched my husband make grilled cheese one night and decided that the way he assembled everything was much easier than the way I had always done it. Butter each slice for the sandwich, then put the buttered sides together. Load up the cheese (and anything else going in), then pick up the top piece of bread and easily transfer it to the hot griddle. Finish by putting the other piece of bread on top of the cheese, butter-side-up. So simple!
- 8 slices of bread
- 16 slices of mozzarella cheese *
- 16 slices of pepperoni
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic/pizza seasoning (I used Johnny’s Garlic Spread & Seasoning)**
- 4 oz pizza sauce
*Since the size and thickness of your cheese is probably different from mine, use enough cheese for 4 sandwiches.
**My kids have very bland palates, so they prefer less seasoning.
- Preheat a griddle or panini press to medium heat (about 350 degrees).
- Place pepperoni (not touching) on a paper towel-lined plate, and microwave for 20-30 seconds. (This will remove some of the grease and crisp them up…we don’t like rubbery pepperoni!). We like to cut them into fourths for these sandwiches.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic seasoning and softened butter.
- Place all slices of bread on a clean counter (keeping sandwich pairs together) and butter one side of each slice of bread. You may not need all the butter, so just save it for next time!
- For each sandwich pair, place the buttered sides together. Add the cheese and pepperoni to each of the four stacks (and anything else you like on your pizza! We are plain Janes and stick to the basics).
- Take the piece of bread with the cheese and pepperoni on it (not both…just the one with the toppings) and place it on the griddle/pan with that buttered side staying down. Then top with the other piece of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until the bottom is browned, 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook the other side until browned. If using an electric panini press, both sides will cook at the same time, so no flipping necessary.
- Cut into strips (we do thirds) and serve immediately with your favorite pizza dipping sauce!
For more simple kid-approved recipes, but sure to check out-