Buttery avocado, fresh tomato, and gooey cheddar cheese come together to create an Avocado Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich that tastes amazing and couldn’t be easier to make!
With all the deliciously fresh avocados in season right now, I have been pretty much living on this avocado tomato grilled cheese sandwich.
The tomato and avocado are a classic pair but combine them with fresh basil, melted cheese, buttered sourdough, bread, they make a delicious grilled cheese sandwich that I just can’t get enough of.
The total time to make this sandwich is less than 10 minutes, and it comes together so easily!
Tips to make the best grilled cheese sandwich-
- Always use ripe avocados. It can be easy to get fooled by the outer layer of the avocado. They can be mistaken as being ripe when they are not. You should be able to press them gently and they should give. Unripe avocados are just bitter and taste weird!
- Slice your tomatoes thin so they cook faster.
- Use thick slices of a sturdy bread, like a sourdough. Thin slices can give away easily from the juices of the tomatoes and melting cheese and can become soggy.
- I don’t have any preferences when it comes to cheese because I like them all, but sharp cheddar is my favorite.
Avocado Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This avocado tomato grilled cheese sandwich is going to top your list of favorite grilled cheese sandwiches. Plus it uses simple, healthy ingredients… and that is always a bonus!
Serve it with a small bowl of our favorite tomato soup, and you’ve got yourself a delicious meal!
- 4 slices of Multigrain, Whole Wheat Bread, or Sourdough Bread
- 3/4 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 thin tomato slices
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons butter – you can also use cooking spray to save on calories, but the butter tastes so.much.better!
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Spread the mayo on one slice of bread and then sprinkle with two tablespoons of cheese.
- Place 4 slices of tomatoes and half of the avocado slices on top of the cheese, and then top with another 2-3 tablespoons of cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then place the second piece of bread on top. Repeat the steps to make the second sandwich with the two remaining bread slices.
- Heat the butter in a pan, skillet, or griddle on medium heat and place the sandwiches on top. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until the bread is toasted and the cheese melts completely.
You can add spinach or cooked bacon to this cheese sandwich recipe if you’d like some more protein (and flavor!) in your sandwich.
MORE GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES WE THINK YOU’LL LOVE –
- Chicken Fajita Grilled Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- Grilled Cheese Pizza Dippers
- Cheesy Reuben
- Grilled Pastrami with Provolone
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD SO YOU CAN SAVE THIS TO YOUR RECIPE BOX –
Avocado Tomato Grilled Cheese
- Spread the mayonnaise on one slice of bread and then sprinkle with two tablespoons of cheese.
- Place 4 slices of tomatoes and half of the avocado slices on the cheese, and then top with another 2-3 tablespoons of cheese. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper and then place the second slice of bread on top. Repeat the steps to make the second sandwich.
- Heat the butter in a skillet and place the sandwiches on top. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until the bread is toasted and the cheese melts completely.
*Nutrition facts will vary based on the bread and cheese you choose to use.