This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Pepperidge Farm. As always, all opinions are my own.
These chicken fajita grilled cheese sandwiches are so easy to make and packed with flavor. The perfect grown-up grilled cheese sandwich recipe!
With all the fancy meals and desserts that I make, there’s still something special to me about a grilled cheese sandwich. They’re one of my favorite comfort foods, and one of my fall-backs for busy nights when I don’t feel like cooking. These chicken fajita grilled cheese sandwiches are a new twist on a classic grilled cheese. I love that they capture that delicious southwest taste that I love, while still maintaining the gooey cheesiness I love in my sandwiches!
I used Pepperidge Farm 100% Whole Wheat Bread to make these sandwiches, and it is fantastic! I’ve loved Pepperidge Farm crackers and cookies for years, and I was really excited to hear that Pepperidge Farm fresh breads are now available in Phoenix. Their breads are premium quality, great tasting, and made with quality ingredients. They come in many different varieties, including Swirl breads, hamburger and hotdog buns, Whole Grain loaves, Farmhouse loaves, and Rye breads. They’re available at Walmart, Albertsons, Bashas, Fry’s, Safeway, Target, Walmart and WinCo Foods in the Phoenix area, and make delicious sandwiches.
These chicken fajita grilled cheese sandwiches are really easy to make! You’ll start by slicing some onions and peppers thinly.
You’ll then sauté the vegetables until tender.
Next you’ll thinly slice a cooked chicken breast (I used a rotisserie chicken breast, which was quick and easy).
Next you’ll add the chicken to your vegetable mixture, along with some seasonings.
Then, it’s time to get your bread ready. I love that the 100% whole wheat bread is both soft and sturdy – perfect for making a grilled cheese! Butter one side of each piece of bread.
Then you’ll add your cheese and layer on your chicken mixture. Yum!
They cook for a few minutes on each side, until golden and toasty, and then they’re ready to eat!
These are definitely some of my favorite sandwiches that I’ve ever made. I love the gooey, melty cheese with the flavorful chicken and vegetable mixture. These chicken fajita grilled cheese sandwiches make for a hearty and delicious meal any time of day!
Chicken Fajita Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 slices Pepperidge Farm 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 green pepper, sliced thinly
- 1/2 orange or red pepper, sliced thinly
- 1/2 small onion, sliced thinly
- 1 medium cooked chicken breast, sliced thinly (rotisserie chicken would work well)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the peppers and onions and sauté until the onions are soft and lightly browned, and the peppers are softened.
- Add the chicken breast and cook until heated through. Add the garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Spread one side of each piece of bread with butter. On the unbuttered side of two pieces of bread, layer a slice of pepper jack cheese, then half of the chicken mixture, then top with a slice of cheddar cheese. Place the remaining piece of bread on top, buttered side up.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Carefully place the sandwiches in the preheated skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
What is your favorite sandwich moment?
Is it relaxing on your lunch break at work, squeezing in a bite while chasing after the kiddos, or making a picnic with friends on the weekend?
Share your favorite sandwich moment in the comments below or on social media using #MySandwichMoment for the chance to win 1 of 3 Pepperidge Farm Fresh Bakery Sandwich Kits – complete with product samples and recipe ideas.
Giveaway ends 4/20/16 and Pepperidge Farm will provide 3 winners with product kits by no later than April 30th.