These chicken fajita grilled cheese sandwiches are super easy to make. Made with chicken, fresh vegetables and cheese, these sandwiches are packed with flavor!
If you love the flavor of a fajita, then you’ll love these Fajita Skewer, Sheet Pan Fajitas and Steak Fajita Quesadilla recipes.
An Adult Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese sandwiches are one of my favorite comfort foods. They are one of my fall-backs for busy nights when I don’t feel like cooking. Unlike my kids, I now welcome more ingredients to my sandwich besides just bread and cheese. I love to mix it up with all kinds of different ingredients to add all kinds of flavors.
These chicken fajita grilled cheese sandwiches are a new twist on a classic grilled cheese. I love that they capture that delicious southwest taste that I love, while still maintaining the gooey cheesiness I love in my sandwiches! Filled with grilled chicken, vegetables and smothered in cheese, these sandwiches are to die for!
How To Make Fajita Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
These chicken fajita grilled cheese sandwiches are really easy to make! Here’s how to do it.
Prep Veggies – You’ll start by thinly slicing the onions and bell peppers.
Sauté Vegetables – Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the bell peppers and onions to the pan and sauté them until the onions are soft and lightly brown, and the peppers are soft.
Chicken – A shortcut would be to use a cooked rotisserie chicken breast and cut it into thin slices before throwing it into the pan. Or you can add the raw chicken breast to the skillet and cook it until cooked throughout.
Season – Add the garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and salt & pepper to the pan and toss everything to combine. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
Bread – Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread. On the unbuttered side of two pieces of bread, layer a slice of pepper jack cheese, then half of the chicken mixture, then top with a slice of cheddar cheese. Place the remaining piece of bread on top, buttered side up.
Grill – Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Carefully place the sandwiches in the preheated skillet. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Serve – These are definitely some of my favorite sandwiches that I’ve ever made. I love the gooey, melty cheese with the flavorful chicken and vegetable mixture. These chicken fajita grilled cheese sandwiches make for a hearty and delicious meal any time of day!
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
- Baked Pastrami Sandwiches
- Amazing Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Hawaiian Ham & Cheese Sandwich
- Crock Pot BBQ Beef Sandwich
Chicken Fajita Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 4 slices Whole Wheat Bread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 green pepper, sliced thinly
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced thinly
- 1/2 onion, sliced thinly
- 3/4 lb cooked chicken breast, sliced thinly (rotisserie chicken would work well)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the peppers and onions and sauté until the onions are soft and lightly browned, and the peppers are softened.
- Add the chicken breast and cook until heated through. Add the garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Spread one side of each piece of bread with butter. On the unbuttered side of two pieces of bread, layer a slice of pepper jack cheese, then half of the chicken mixture, then top with a slice of cheddar cheese. Place the remaining piece of bread on top, buttered side up.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Carefully place the sandwiches in the preheated skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
This was such a delicious twist on grilled cheese. The fajita chicken and vegetables were so good on the sandwich.
Oh good, I’m so glad you enjoyed it as much as I do!
Now, this is the ultimate grilled cheese! You’ve taken the classic sandwich to a whole new level. Love the taste! I don’t think I could eat a grilled cheese the regular way, anymore!
You and me both!
This is one amazing grilled cheese sandwich!! Those grilled peppers with the cheese was AMAZING!!
I know, right?! I’m so glad you loved it!