This pastrami sandwich recipe is perfect for those times when you need a quick and easy dinner idea. It’s loaded with hot pastrami, grilled onions, mustard, cheese, and crispy waffle fries, this recipe is easy to make and unbelievably tasty!
Pastrami sandwiches are the perfect game day food! Serve them with a side of chips, Pasta Salad, some Sweet Potato Fries, and a warm batch of Cake Mix Cookies for dessert.
Best Pastrami Sandwich Recipe
I absolutely LOVE grilled sandwiches! They are an easy meal that looks gourmet and always tastes delicious! This Pastrami Sandwich Recipe is one of our family’s favorites.
You can change the meat and cheese to whatever you’d like and still get an AMAZING result. Plus they are good for entertaining- make them ahead of time, stick them in the refrigerator and grill them in the oven when your guests arrive. Give it a try!
What Is Pastrami?
Pastrami is a meat that has gone through the curing process, then highly seasoned and finally smoked. It is typically made from beef but pastrami can be made from other meats like pork and turkey.
Are Pastrami and Corn Beef The Same?
While both pastrami and corn beef both go through an initial curing process they are not exactly the same. Corn beef is typically made from a brisket while pastrami is made from the beef plate.
Once the meat has cured, corn beef is usually boiled while pastrami is smoked and then additional seasoning is added. If you want to try a good Corned Beef version, try this Reuben sandwich!
What Goes On Pastrami Sandwiches?
- Bread – Usually Pastrami Sandwiches are made on traditional Rye bread, but any sandwich bread or even Hawaiian rolls taste great.
- Pastrami, obviously. 🙂
- Mustard – You could use regular yellow mustard, but I prefer spicy mustard so I usually go with Dijon Mustard.
- Cheese – Typically you’ll use a slice of Swiss cheese or provolone, but you could do cheddar, mozarella, or any cheese you love!
- Onions – I like mine grilled, but keep them fresh if you want more of a bite.
- Optional Toppings – Coleslaw or fresh cabbage, lettuce, dill pickle slices, sliced tomato, carrot sticks, or baked waffle fries – my personal favorite!
How To Make A Pastrami Sandwich
Cook Onions – You’ll start by adding the onions to a small skillet with about one tablespoon of butter. Then saute them over medium to high heat until onions are golden and translucent.
Pastrami Prep – Place sliced pastrami on a microwave-safe plate and heat in 30-second increments until heated through.
Bread – You’ll want to lightly butter the outsides of all four pieces of bread. This will give it a nice golden-brown color when it’s done cooking.
Build It – On the inside of the bread, build your sandwiches by spreading dijon mustard over each slice of bread, then layering 1 piece of cheese, hot pastrami, grilled onions, and one more slice of cheese.
Optional – if you want your toppings heated up, add those now too. (I prefer to add them a the end)
Cook – Place remaining 2 pieces of bread on top of the cheese, buttered side facing up, then place both sandwiches on an indoor grill or in a frying pan and cook 2 or 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
Optional – Open the sandwich up and top with your favorite toppings.
Serving – Serve the sandwiches immediately so they’re nice and warm.
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
- Open-Faced Oven Baked Sandwiches
- Caprese Sandwich Recipe
- Avocado Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Crock-Pot Meatball Sandwich
- Grilled Ham + Jam Sandwich
Here’s a printable recipe card for your convenience –
Pastrami Sandwich Recipe
- 4 slices of rye bread
- 7 oz sliced deli pastrami
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp butter + 2 tbsp softened butter, divided
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- coleslaw, dill pickle slices, sliced tomato, cooked waffle fries, optional
- Start by adding your onions to a small pan with 1 tbsp of butter. Saute over medium/high heat until onions are golden and translucent.
- Place sliced pastrami on a microwave-safe plate and heat in 30-second increments until heated through.
- Lightly butter the outsides of all four pieces of bread.
- On the inside of the bread, build your sandwiches by spreading dijon mustard over each slice of bread, then layering 1 piece of cheese, hot pastrami, grilled onions, and one more slice of cheese.
- OPTIONAL – if you want your toppings heated up, add those now too. (I prefer to add them a the end)
- Place remaining 2 pieces of bread on top of the cheese, buttered side facing up.
- Place two sandwiches on an indoor grill or in a frying pan and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- OPTIONAL – Open the sandwich up and top with your favorite toppings.
- Serve immediately.
I wanted to make this recipe, but saw the fact that the recipe called for 24 rolls and 1 lb of pastrami, however, the recipe says “one serving”. Something is wrong here! I would love to try this recipe, but need clarification on quantity and amounts. And no dill pickles???? just asking….Thank you
Sorry about that. I just updated the recipe card.
YUMMY ! Going to make these this
Week with a nice warm bowl of soup ?❤️Thank you
I hope you love them! Thanks for stopping by!
Looks delicious! I too love baked sandwiches… Can’t wait to try your take on them! Thanks!
Thanks Kaycee! 🙂 I hope you like them!
These look absolutely amazing…and I love pastrami! When I was growing up, my uncle owned a deli and pastrami sandwiches were my favorite!! Definitely pinning. We met on Twitter yesterday via SITS.
Thanks Michelle! I appreciate you stopping by! 🙂
These look amazing! I can’t wait to surprise my family with these. Especially my dad!
Good luck Cheryl, I hope they like them!!