These crockpot BBQ beef sandwiches are made with just 3 ingredients and they’re dripping with flavor! Not only are they delicious but they are super easy to make!
These barbecue sandwiches go great with a side of Sweet Potato Fries, Roasted Vegetables, or a Baked Potato.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Beef
Growing up, my parents made a roast in the crockpot every Sunday. In fact, they made it even until a few years ago when my oldest son was little. He even called it “Church Meat” because we’d have it every Sunday, after church. It is one of those meals that is so simple to prepare, and it is tender and tasty!
We all love an easy dinner recipe that can be quickly pulled together for a busy day. These crockpot BBQ beef sandwiches are the perfect meal for a meat-loving family. Not only do these barbecue sandwiches taste fantastic but your house will smell amazing all day while they’re cooking.
How To Make BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- 3-3.5lb roast
- 1 – 16oz bottle of BBQ sauce (about 2 cups)
- 5-6 cups of water
- hamburger buns
- toppings – sliced red onion, coleslaw, dill pickles, matchstick carrots, BBQ sauce, salt, and black pepper, optional
Prep – Place the thawed roast into the slow cooker and pour the entire bottle of bbq sauce over the meat.
Add Water – Take the empty barbecue sauce bottle and fill it with water. Give it a good shake to get the remaining sauce and then empty it out over the roast. Continue adding water into the crockpot until the meat is mostly covered.
Tip – If your roast is oddly shaped and stands a little taller, consider cutting it in half and placing both pieces side by side.
Cook – Cover and cook on low for about 6-8 hours. If you don’t have that much time, you can cook it on high for about 4-6 hours.
Almost Done – About 30 minutes before you’re ready to eat, take the meat out and shred it with meat claws or a couple of forks. Put the shredded meat back into the slow cooker and then let it cook uncovered for the last 30 minutes. This will allow some of the liquid burns off.
Serve – Remove the meat and serve it on toasted buns and slather it with more bbq sauce and top it with slaw and your other favorite toppings. I LOVE the crunch that the pickles and red cabbage adds.
You could skip the buns and add some sliced potatoes or veggies to the crockpot if you’d like, or serve it in a bowl of rice with all the toppings of your choice. Either way, you’ll love it!
Storage – Store any leftover meat in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. The meat will last up to 1 week. Reheat in the microwave until heated through.
Best Cut of Meat – My favorite cut of meat to use for these bbq beef sandwiches is a chuck roast. I think a fattier cut of beef works the best for this recipe.
Best BBQ Sauce – I like using a homemade bbq sauce but if you don’t have time, Sweet Baby Ray’s is my favorite sauce.
Frozen Meat – If you forgot to thaw your roast, don’t worry, you can still throw it in the crockpot frozen. You’ll just need to add about 2 extra hours of cook time for a standard 3-pound cut of beef.
SUBSTITUTIONS + OPTIONS
- Follow this recipe but swap put the beef with pulled pork to make a delicious pork sandwich. (Chicken breast is also a delicious substitution, too!)
- For more flavor variations and textures, add sliced pineapple, cilantro, cheese, avocado, or bacon slices to your burger.
More Easy Crock Pot Beef Recipes
- Slow Cooker Meatball Sandwiches
- Crock Pot Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches
- Crock-Pot Pepperoncini Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Roast Beef Sandwiches
Crock Pot BBQ Beef Sandwich Recipe
- 3 lb chuck roast
- 32 oz BBQ sauce, 1 bottle for cooking + more when serving
- 5-6 cups water
- 10 hamburger buns
- red onion, sliced
- dill pickles, sliced
- carrot matchsticks
- Take your thawed roast* and place it in the crock pot. Pour an entire bottle of BBQ sauce over the top of the roast.
- Fill the empty BBQ sauce bottle with water, shake it up to get the rest of the sauce off the sides and then pour that over the top of the roast.
- Add enough water so that the meat is mostly covered in liquid. Put the lid on the crock pot on and cook for 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- 30 minutes before serving, shred the meat with 2 forks and place it back in the crock pot.
- Let it cook uncovered on high for the last 30 minutes to burn off some of the excess liquid.
- Serve inside soft buns and add more BBQ sauce and toppings of your choice
Easy and simple. Used our favorite bbq sauce. Only issue I had is the our sauce was thin. Any suggestions on thickening up our leftovers? We have plenty for 3nds.
The smell from the crock pot was teasing me all day!:). The beef came out super tender and was absolutely perfect!
LOL, yea that smell is definitely delicious.
Slow cooker meals are the way to go right now! Love how easy this is and tasty too!
Totally agree…crock pot meals are the best!
Oh my, these bbq beef sandwiches were incredibly delicious!! Huge hit with the family!
I’m so glad you guys loved them!
We love this so simple to make and the family just loves it!