Buttery shortbread topped with cherry jam, fresh cherries and a crumbly topping. These Cherry Streusel Bars are mind-blowingly delicious and SO easy to make!
Fresh Dessert Bars
These cherry streusel bars are amazing! I took my favorite buttery shortbread base, then topped it with some cherry jam , fresh cherries and a flaky oat topping. The results is simply fantastic!
Not only do they taste great, but they are sooooo easy to make! They don’t have to look perfect; in fact, they look best when the topping doesn’t quite cover all the filling and they look a little “rustic”. The cherry layer oozes out and is the perfect contrast to the crunchy base and top.
How To Make Cherry Streusel Bars
It’s All About The Base – The first step for these delicious dessert bars is to make the base. Put the butter, sugar, salt, flour and cornstarch into a large mixing bowl and beat for about 3 minutes. In the beginning, the mixture will be a little crumbly but keep going. Once a soft dough forms, you’ll know it’s ready. Spread the dough firmly into the bottom of the pan so it’s an even layer.
Bake – When your oven reaches 350 degrees F, bake the dough for about 10-12 minutes. The dough should have slightly risen and become a little puffy.
Toppings – Put the flour, butter, brown sugar and oats in a another mixing bowl and use your hands to mix everything together. Continue to do this until the mixture has a coarse bread crumb texture to it. It’s OK for there to still be lumps.
Filling – Start by placing the jam in a microwave-safe bowl and warming it up for about 20 seconds so that it’s easier to spread. Spoon the cherry jam over the dessert bar base. Be careful not to press too hard while you’re spreading it. Slice the fresh cherries in half and sprinkle them over the jam.
Compile & Bake – Sprinkle the streusel topping over the top of the cherry filling and then place the cherry bars bake into the oven. Cook for about 20-25 minutes until the topping has turned golden brown.
Cool & Serve – Once the bars are done baking, let them cool completely before cutting. You should be able to yield about 9-12 cherry streusel bars with this recipe.
More Easy Dessert Bar Recipes
- Easy Blackberry Crumb Bars
- Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Pumpkin Pie Bars Recipe
- The Best Sugar Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Crumble Bars
- Cheesecake Cookie Dessert Bars
I really hope you’ll make these easy cherry streusel bars and fall in love with them like we did! Here is the delicious recipe. Let us know if you make these dessert bars by leaving us a comment below, or by tagging us on social media!
Cherry Streusel Bars Recipe
for the base:
for the filling:
- 8 oz cherry jam
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease an 8x8 inch square pan.
- Make the base first: Place butter, flour, cornstarch, sugar and salt into a large bowl and beat for about 3 minutes, or until a soft dough forms. To start, the mixture will be crumbly. Keep beating and it will come together into a ball.
- Spread the dough into your prepared pan and press firmly into an even layer.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly risen and puffy. Edges will be slightly coloured.
- Make the topping: Place oats, brown sugar, flour & butter into a bowl and rub between your fingers until you have a coarse bread crumb texture. Some smaller and bigger lumps are fine.
- For the filling: Place jam in a small heat proof bowl and microwave for 20 seconds. (This just makes it a bit easier to spread). Spoon the jam over the shortbread base. Don’t press too hard at this stage as the shortbread is a little soft!
- Place fresh cherry halves over the jam. They won’t completely cover the jam, this is fine.
- Sprinkle the topping over the jam and cherries. You may not need all of it, it depends whether you want to completely cover the jam or not.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden and the jam is bubbling around the edges. Top should be firm to the touch.
- Leave bars to cool in the pan completely, before transferring to a cutting board and slicing into 9-12 bars.
- * Cherry Streusel Bars will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature for 3 days, or in the fridge for 5 days.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR – Annie is a self-taught baker, recipe developer and food photographer from Annie’s Noms. Annie was a food contributor on Somewhat Simple in 2017.