Apple cupcakes are a fun way to celebrate the start of a new school year! They’re easy to make and look adorable!
Here are a few more Back to School Ideas we think you’ll love – Back to School Party Ideas, Make-Ahead School Lunches, and Printable Star Wars Lunch Notes.
A Back To School Dessert
Every fall, just before the first day of school, we have a little Back to School Family Dinner. It’s nothing big or fancy, but it’s a fun tradition that gets the kids excited for their first day. We have a cafeteria-style dinner with some simple activities, and we end the night with a simple school-themed treat.
One year we made a flat cake that looks like a school bus, and another year we decorated snack cakes to look like diplomas. This year, we decorated cupcakes to look like apples, and it just might have been my favorite idea yet!
Here’s how to make them –
Items You’ll Need
- CUPCAKES – Make your own or grab some from the bakery!
- FROSTING – Red and green, or all one color. (Even yellow would be cute!)
- TOOTSIE ROLLS – for the stems
- GREEN AIRHEADS – for the leaves
- GUMMY WORMS – just because they’re cute!
How to Make Easy Apple Cupcakes
Once your cupcakes are cooled and frosted, it’s time to start decorating them!
- First, you’ll want to flatten out a green Airheads with a rolling pin. Next, cut them into leaf shapes using a pair of kitchen shears.
- Now you’ll need to roll out your Tootsie rolls so they’re long and skinny. Then cut them with a knife so the “apple stems” are the length you want them to be. (We cut ours on a diagonal to give more of a look of an apple stem that wasn’t so boxy.)
3. To assemble your apple cupcakes, add a “stem” to the center of each one. Now pinch the bottom of your leaf to give it a little dimension and then stick it right next to the stem. Next, you’ll add a gummy worm around the stem or partially under the leaf.
(You can cut the worms in half if you find that they aren’t fitting well. Just be sure to cut all of them so kids aren’t sad about the size of their worms. 😉
4. …. and that’s it! Enjoy your cupcakes!
These cupcakes would be perfect for a party or a class treat!
More Fun Cupcake Ideas
- 4th of July Cupcakes
- Candy Corn Cupcakes
- Graduation Cupcakes
- Halloween Witch Hat Cupcakes
- Santa Hat Cupcakes
Here’s a printable recipe card for your convenience –
Apple Cupcakes Recipe
- Cupcakes , homemade or storebought
- Frosting , red and green
- Tootsie Rolls
- Green Airheads
- Gummy Worm
- Once your cupcakes are cooled and frosted, it’s time to start decorating them!
- Flatten out a green airhead with a rolling pin, then cut them into leaf shapes with some kitchen shears.
- Roll out your tootsie rolls so they’re long and skinny, then cut them with a knife so they are the length you want them to be. (We cut ours on a diagonal to give the look of an apple stem that wasn’t so boxy.)
- To assemble your apple cupcakes, add a “stem” to the center. Pinch the bottom of your leaf to give it some dimension, then stick it right next to the stem. Add a gummy worm around the stem or partially under the leaf. (You can cut the worms in half if you find that they aren’t fitting well. Just be sure to cut all of them so kids aren’t sad about the size of their worms. 😉
- … and that’s it! Enjoy your cupcakes!
So cute. However, don’t add candy until right before your party. They candy melted flat onto the cupcakes. Didn’t look as cute as they did at first.
Thanks for the tip! I wouldn’t have thought that would happen, so that is good to know!
Such a cute idea, and I love that it could be used with any flavor of cupcake. It was the perfect way to celebrate the start of this crazy school year!
These are adorable! These were the perfect back to school treats and my kids just loved them!
Oh good, so glad they loved’em!
These are such a great idea and so stink’n cute! My little ones just loved decorating them.
Decorating is always the funnest part!