This delicious gingerbread hot chocolate is the perfect warm drink to celebrate the holiday season! So creamy and smooth, with a sweet gingerbread flavor!
The Perfect Winter Drink
Is there anything better than a warm cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter night? Not in my world! When I was little, we often went sledding in the vacant lot across the street from my house, and spent the whole afternoon sledding down the hill over and over. When we finally came back home, exhausted and half-frozen, my mom was always waiting with a big pot of homemade hot chocolate.
It tasted heavenly and went a long way towards warming up those little fingers and toes. Now that I’m the mom, I take my hot chocolate responsibilities very seriously! 🙂 This gingerbread hot chocolate is one of our favorites, and is especially fun to make during the holiday season. It’s simple and delicious, and everyone loves it!
How To Make Gingerbread Hot Chocolate
Gingerbread Syrup – To make the syrup, add the water, brown sugar, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to a saucepan. Whisk everything together and then set the stove to medium eat and then bring everything to a simmer. Give it a stir occasionally to keep it from burning. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved and the syrup has thickened.
Hot Chocolate – Using a separate saucepan, whisk together the milk, half and half, vanilla and salt. Heat the mixture over medium heat and then add the chocolate chips. You’ll want to constantly be stirring the mixture to keep it from burning as well. Continue doing this until the chocolate chips have melted and the hot chocolate is nice and hot.
Combine – Once everything is hot, combine the syrup and hot chocolate to create this delicious gingerbread hot chocolate.
Toppings – My kids are sprinkle-obsessed and would each pretty much anything if I put sprinkles on it, so of course they are a must on our hot chocolate. We’ve tried it with homemade whipped cream, and the spray stuff from a can, and it’s delicious either way.
More Holiday Treat Recipes
- Melted Snowman Cookies
- Creamy Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Christmas Blossom Cookies
- Hot Cocoa Milk Shake
- Shortbread Christmas Tree Cookies
This gingerbread hot chocolate is the perfect way to keep everyone warm and cozy this holiday season! Leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought! Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter to get all of our latest holiday recipes!
Gingerbread Hot Chocolate
for the gingerbread syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
for the hot chocolate:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the water, brown sugar, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and simmer 10 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, half and half, vanilla, and salt. Add the chocolate chips. Heat, stirring constantly, over medium heat, until the chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is hot. Add the gingerbread syrup and whisk to combine.
- Serve hot with whipped cream and sprinkles, if desired.