This Hot Chocolate Milkshake just might change the way you make this delicious drink forever!
A Hot Milkshake
One of my favorite ways to dress up hot cocoa is by adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the cup of cocoa. Not only does it cool down the hot chocolate just a bit, it also makes it even creamier – which is so delicious!
This is one of my family’s favorite drinks to enjoy during the cold winter months. If you’ve never tried a hot chocolate milkshake before, you’re in for a special treat!
Word of caution: You may not be able to stop at one cup, so watch out. (And you’re welcome!)
How to Make Hot Chocolate Milkshakes
Prep – Warm the milk over the stove in a medium saucepan until it’s nice and hot.
Choose Your Flavor – Start by adding one big scoop of your favorite ice cream into the bottom of a mug. This time we used vanilla but we’ve tried a variety of flavors and I haven’t found one I don’t like!
Add Chocolate – When the milk is hot, mix in the appropriate number of hot chocolate packets based on the amount of milk you used.
Combine – Pour the hot chocolate over the top of the ice cream until you fill up your mug.
Why Stop – You could stop there and enjoy a creamy sip of hot cocoa, or you can go all out and add even more deliciousness!
Toppings – We love to add mini marshmallows, whipped cream and drizzle the top with some hot fudge. You can make an entire sundae if you’d like!
Best Flavor – Vanilla is the most solid of choices. However, if you’re looking for something rich, try chocolate or Rocky Road. Last week I made a special hot chocolate milkshake with candy cane ice cream – it turned out so.stinkin.delicious! (I think it is my new favorite winter indulgence!)
Extra Hot – Because you’re pouring the hot chocolate over ice cream, I would recommend heating the milk a little hotter than you normally would. That way it’ll still be a hot milkshake.
More Easy Drink Recipes
- Non-alcoholic Holiday Punch
- Dirty Monkey Drink Recipe
- Pineapple Orange Fruit Smoothie
- Non-alcoholic Sangria Punch
- Homemade Peach Smoothie Recipe
Here’s a printable recipe card so you can save this to your repertoire:
Hot Chocolate Milkshake
- 1 packet hot chocolate mix
- 1 cup milk, enough for one mug full
- 1 cup ice cream
- whipped cream, marshmallow, chocolate syrup, candy, etc., for garnish
- Start by warming your milk over the stove. Cook until desired temperature, keeping in mind that you might want it to be a bit hotter than normal since you will be adding a scoop of ice cream to your drink and you don’t want it to be cold.
- Once the milk has reached your desired temperature, whisk in the contents of the hot cocoa packet and mix until blended.
- In a mug, place one scoop of your favorite ice cream.
- Slowly pour hot cocoa over scoop of ice cream in the mug. Let it sit for 1-2 minutes. This will help the cocoa cool a little and help the flavor of the ice cream to incorporate into the cocoa.
- Garnish as desired and enjoy!
What is your favorite ice cream to add to hot cocoa?
(I want to make sure I am not missing out on anything delicious!)