Mexican Hot Chocolate Chip Cookies are a new family favorite! Soft, warm, and spiced like a delicious mug of Mexican Hot Chocolate. The perfect winter-time treat!
We love hot chocolate at our house. Nothing beats curling up with a warm mug of hot cocoa in the winter (although we even drink it in the summer!), and one of our favorite variations is to add some cinnamon for a Mexican Hot Chocolate flavor. Since we can’t resist a good chocolate chip cookie either, I thought it only appropriate to combine the two!
And thus was born our favorite Mexican Hot Chocolate Chip Cookie. These are husband-approved, kid-approved, and even next door neighbor-approved! (Because I sent her a cookie from each test batch, so she could give me her opinion too!) So when you can’t decide between a mug of spiced cocoa and a chocolate chip cookie, try this delicious combination!
More Easy Cookie Recipes
- 3 Ingredient Cake Mix Cookies
- Jello Cookies
- Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix Cookies
There are several different ways you can bake your cookies.
- Bake them right away (cookies will be spread more, making them flatter)
- Chill the dough first (cookies will hold their shape better, making them thicker and fluffier)
- Chill the dough first and press extra chocolate chips into the dough balls (will spread more, create wider lines)
- Chill the dough first, bake, then press extra chocolate chips into the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven (thicker, fluffier, really pretty).
They’ll look great no matter how you bake them, but if you’re particular about cookie appearance, now you have options!
Mexican Hot Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 c butter, softened (1 stick)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy!)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cinnamon chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until incorporated.
- Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate and cinnamon chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, form dough balls that are approximately 2 Tbsp. Roll between your hands to smooth them.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until set. Do not overbake.
- Makes 24 cookies.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough balls for 2 hours or longer (I usually refrigerate them overnight). The cookies will hold their form better if they are baked cold.
- Reserve a handful of chocolate chips to press into the cookies immediately after they come out of the oven. They look prettier if you press them after baking than before. This is totally optional and really just depends on the look you want.
- To quickly get a cold egg to room temperature, microwave a cup of water for 30-45 seconds. Place the egg in the water for 5 minutes.