Are you looking for some Christmas treats to make with the kids this holiday season? These sugar cone Christmas trees are so fun and easy to put together, they’re perfect for everyone!
These cone trees are a great activity for the kids. Some of our other favorite Christmas activities are these Christmas Crafts For Kids, a Toilet Paper Roll Nativity Set and this fun Roll A Snowman Game.
Every year my kids want to make a gingerbread house for Christmas. While they’re a lot of fun, they can get crumbly and stale really fast. Plus, each one of my kids has a different idea of how it should look. That’s when I decided to come up with this fun alternative.
These sugar cone Christmas trees are a great alternative to the messy gingerbread houses! They can still make a fun craft filled with all of their favorite candies without the arguing. Each child can decorate their cone shaped tree however they like. And when it’s time to eat it, they don’t have to fight over who gets the last gumdrop. Not only do they taste delicious, they are super simple to put together. Tip a waffle cone upside down, cover it with green frosting, and then decorate it with candy “ornaments”! Fun, right?
How To Make A Sugar Cone Christmas Tree
These delicious Christmas tree sugar cones are such a fun activity and super easy to make. Here’s how to make them:
- Prep The Sugar Cone – First, if your sugar cones are slanted, as mine were, you will have to level them. Carefully break away the taller part of the cone so it will stand up straight when tipped over. If you prefer to use waffle cones, those work great too.
- Frosting – If you’re using with frosting with green food coloring, mix in a few drops at a time until you reach the desired shade of green. One you have green frosting, cover your sugar cones with it so they start to look like a Christmas tree.
- Licorice Tinsel – Wrap your licorice around the tree to look like a strand of lights or tinsel.
- Ornaments – Decorate the rest of your sugar cone tree by sticking small candies to the frosting so that it looks like Christmas ornaments. Add different shapes and sizes of candy so that it looks just like your Christmas tree.
- The Star – Top your sugar cone Christmas tree with a yellow gum drop for the traditional star. Then enjoy!
More Fun Christmas Treat Recipes
There are so many fun and delicious recipes to make during the Holiday season. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Shortbread Christmas Tree Cookies
- Melted Snowmen Cookies
- Sugar Cookie Christmas Blossoms
- Rice Krispie Treat Snowmen
- Christmas Crack Toffee Recipe
Don’t forget to snap a picture of your delicious creations and tag us on social media. We hope you all have a very Happy Holiday season with your loved ones!
Sugar Cone Christmas Tree Recipe
- 1 Box Waffle Cones
- Small Candies
- 1 Can Green Frosting, or white with Green Food Coloring
- 1 Package Licorice
- 1 Box Yellow Gum Drops
- First, if your waffle cones are slanted, as mine were, you will have to carefully break away the taller part of the cone so it will stand up straight.
- Frost your tree.
- Wrap your licorice around your tree to look like a strand of lights or tinsel.
- Decorate your tree by sticking small candies to the frosting.
- Top your cone with a yellow Gum Drop & enjoy!
I feel the exact same way about gingerbread houses! My kids and I really loved this alternative!
I’m so glad you guys had fun!
Love this idea! It was so cute and my kids loved making (and eating) it!
LOL, thanks Lara!
Such a fun and festive treat. So easy to make and fun to let the kids decorate.
Thanks Erin, so glad they enjoyed them!