Deliciously messy pizza burgers have all the flavors of your favorite pizza. Served on classic English muffins, loaded with toppings, and toasted to perfection!
Pizza nights happen quite often here in our home! Not only is pizza easy to make, but I also have yet to meet someone who doesn’t love it! A few of our other favorite Italian-inspired recipes are these Stuffed Shells, Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza, and Homemade Pizza Bites. They’re a great way to switch things up a bit and still achieve happiness all around.
If you’re having a hard time deciding between pizza or burgers tonight, why not combine the two?! Everyone loves these delicious classic dinner recipes, so everyone will love them!
Take tasty English muffins and top them with delicious marinara sauce, pepperoni, ground beef, or any of your other favorite pizza toppings. Then, smother them with melted cheese, and voila!
Each muffin gets toasted to perfection, making these pizzas both crispy, soft, and deliciously hot! Give these pizza burgers a try – you will not be disappointed!
How to Make Pizza Burgers
Making pizza burgers could not be any easier! Just grab a few ingredients, assemble your pizzas and toss them in the oven. In just a few minutes, dinner is served!
Brown The Meat – In a large saucepan or large skillet over medium heat, cook 1 medium onion in olive oil until it becomes soft and translucent. Add in one pound of ground beef and cook until brown.
Make It Saucy – Add a jar of spaghetti or pizza sauce and mix until combined. Reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer.
Preheat & Prep – While everything is simmering, preheat the oven to broil. You’ll want to line the baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and lay out each muffin with the inside facing up.
Add Toppings – Brush a small amount of butter on each English muffin, then sprinkle with garlic salt. Next, you’ll top each muffin with pepperoni slices or any of your other favorite pizza toppings.
Bake – Cook the muffins under the broiler until the edges begin to brown, which takes about 2 minutes. Watch them closely! I have burned way too many things using my broiler!
Compile & Bake – To finish the pizza burgers, remove the muffins from the oven and add about 3 heaping spoonfuls of the meat mixture. Top each muffin with mozzarella cheese, then place the baking sheet back under the broiler until the cheese turns bubbly and brown. This takes approximately 2-3 minutes.
Garnish – Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley, Italian seasoning, or dried oregano over the top to make it look pretty! (Parmesan cheese also looks and tastes amazing!)
On The Grill – For a little heartier of a meal, I sometimes grill hamburger patties on the barbecue. If you go this route, skip the first step and then add the hamburger patties to the pizza toppings right before you put them back in the broiler at the end. The burger pizzas turn out thick, delicious, and still full of the pizza flavor we love!
Toppings – I love a good pepperoni pizza burger but you can go nuts with whatever toppings you like. Some of my favorite toppings to add are bacon, bell peppers, ham, pineapple, black olives, Italian sausage, and chicken.
- I like to use ground beef that has a higher fat content because they turn out juicier and have more flavor, but you can definitely use lean ground beef or ground turkey.
- Not a fan of English Muffins? These pizza burgers can be made using hamburger buns, too!
Pizza burgers are best eaten fresh from the oven, but if you have leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat in the microwave.
More Pizza-Inspired Recipes
- Homemade Pepperoni Pizza Pockets
- Easy Pizza Dippers
- Quinoa Pizza Bites
- Pizza Cupcake Recipe
- Breakfast Bacon Pizza
These pizza burgers are so simple and so yummy! Once you’ve tried this simple recipe, leave us a comment below and let us know how you liked this combo and which toppings you liked best.
Pizza Burgers Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- 4 English muffins, split in half
- 3-4 tablespoons of butter
- 1-2 tablespoons of garlic salt
- 32 slices of cooked pepperoni
- 1-2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp dried chopped parsley
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, cook the onions with the olive oil until onions become soft and translucent.
- Add the ground beef and cook until brown.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and mix until combined.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil and lay out each muffin with the inside facing up.
- Spread a small amount of butter on each English muffin, then sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Top each muffin with 4 slices of pepperoni
- Cook the muffins under the broiler until the edges begin to brown- about 2 minutes. (Watch these closely! I have burned way too many things using my broiler!)
- Remove the muffins from the oven and add about 3 heaping spoonfuls of the meat and sauce mixture.
- Top each muffin with the cheese, then place the baking sheet back under the broiler until the cheese turns bubbly and brown, approximately 2-3 minutes.
My kids loved these for lunch! Such a fun twist on their favorite food!
That’s awesome, thanks for sharing!
I make these ALL the time! So tasty and such an easy lunch or dinner to put together!
That’s awesome! I make these all the time too!
Now this is my kind of meal! This was so delicious that my kids are already requesting it again! So good!
That’s awesome! My kids love this dinner too.
This sounds so tasty!
Jay is gonna flip when I make these for him, a combo of his two favorite meals?!?!?!?! Are you kidding me?