Growing up it was a tradition for each of the kids to get their own Chocolate Christmas Advent Calendar. You’ve seen these, right? A cardboard box the size of a large story book with little flaps numbered that you open each day and find your very own piece of chocolate. It was part of the magic of Christmas. Except now that I am older, I’m not a huge fan of chocolate that tastes sort of like wax- are you with me?
A couple weeks ago, we opened a box of of our favorite candy- California Brittle from See’s Candies- and for the first time the thought came to mind how perfect this box of chocolates would be for an advent calendar- there are exactly 24 pieces of candy, which means 1 candy each day starting on December 1st until Christmas Eve! (It also means you have to limit yourself to just one piece per day- can you handle that?)
While my kids get excited about their fun advent calendars with the waxy chocolate stuff, my husband and I can indulge on our own delightful goodness, and everyone enjoys the magic of Christmas!
Here is how I made it:
1. Cut your Cardstock: Choose some colorful cardstock and cut strips that are the same width of your candy spaces. (It is better to cut them thinner than wider because the smallest fraction of an inch too wide adds up when you lay them side by side in a small candy box and overlapping cardstock is not cute- trust me). Once you have your strips, cut them to be the same length as your candy spaces, leaving enough room to fold qn edge to stick down the sides of the candy.
2. Add a Lip: I used a 3/4″ circle punch and just cut a half circle on the bottom of each card to give it a little lip to grab onto.
3. Make Sure they Fit: This might sound unnecessary, but I was surprised how many strips of mine needed to be cut down. Save yourself the hassle of cutting down AFTER the embellishments and do it now.
4. Embellish: I kept it simple and used some red distress ink along the edges. I like the dimension this adds.
5. Number the Flaps: Punch out circles for your numbers and write the numbers 1-24 on the circles. I added some scribbles to the edge with a fine tip pen for some whimsy character.
A Fun Variation: Use this advent not only to indulge in chocolate and countdown to Christmas, but use it for fun activities your family can do together each night. Print THIS FREE PRINTABLE with 24 activities and glue them to the inside of each of your flaps. Now you get some family fun and a yummy treat!
Simple and sweet- literally!
See’s Candies “Countdown to Christmas” Sweepstakes is going on from now until Christmas.
Enter to win prizes each day & a chance to win the Grand Prize – 1lb of chocolate a month for 30 years!
Set-up like an Advent calendar, this Countdown to Christmas includes multiple daily “Instant Winners” & one “Grand Prize” at the culmination of the sweepstakes. Just click on the current day to see if you’re an instant winner of a gift card (values vary from $5-$100)!
Even if you don’t win a gift card, everyone walks away with a treat- like a recipe or craft idea.
So what are you waiting for???
Don’t forget to “LIKE” See’s on Facebook too!
Small Fine Print: Open to U.S. residents only. The sweepstakes is only available via online.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of See’s Candies. All opinions are 100% my own.