If you have been looking for an EASY homemade banana bread recipe, you’ve come to the right place! I have tried several banana bread recipes and this one is the simplest because it only requires a few basic ingredients that you should have in your pantry.
Homemade sweet breads are kind of my love language. Is there anything better than a warm slice of Cranberry Orange Sweet Bread, Blueberry Lemon Bread or Apple Cinnamon Bread right out of the oven? This easy recipe ranks right up there with my very favorites!
Homemade Banana Bread
I’ve made several banana bread recipes in my life and this one has officially replaced all others! I first made it years ago for brunch with some friends, and not only did it get rave reviews, it was also super simple to make! This bread recipe doesn’t call for any strange ingredients, in fact I usually have everything on-hand (No need to run to the store for buttermilk – yay!).
The key to making this banana bread recipe turn out super moist is the sour cream. While the bananas definitely help, using sour cream will make your loaf turn out the best it can be. I promise, once you try this homemade banana bread recipe, you’ll never stop making it.
I always try to keep a variety of fruit on hand for my kids to have as a healthy snack. However, it seems like whenever I buy bananas, they go from being perfect to over-ripe in a few days. If your family is like mine, once those bananas turn brown, they won’t touch them. I always try to help my bananas stay fresher longer but if they turn brown, I hate throwing these bananas away. Lately I’ve decided to make this bread recipe instead and it’s been a huge hit.
I’m thinking you should totally bookmark it for the next time you find yourself with a bunch of bananas that are too ripe! (You can thank me later!). This recipe will make give you the most moist and DELICIOUS banana bread you have ever tasted.
How To Make Banana Bread
This easy banana bread recipe will make one loaf, so if you want, you can easily double or triple it to make however much you need.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease a 9 x 5 inch bread pan
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter and sugar
- Add in the eggs with the vanilla and mix together
- Combine the salt, flout and baking soda and then stir into the butter mixture until it’s smooth
- Mash two bananas and then fold them in with the sour cream
- Spread the banana bread batter evenly into the bread pan
- Bake for 60 minutes
- Let the loaf cool before serving
Can Your Freeze Banana Bread
Yes, you can absolutely freeze this homemade bread! Before you put it in the freezer, wrap the loaf in plastic wrap and then cover it with foil. The bread will stay fresh for up to 2 months, so be sure to write the date on the foil so you don’t forget when you put it in there. When you’re ready to enjoy the banana bread, let it thaw overnight either in the fridge or on the counter.
While I love a simple banana bread recipe, you don’t have to limit yourself to just using bananas. My husband loves his with nuts and my kids love it when I add chocolate chips to the recipe. Here are a few simple suggestions to enhance your banana bread. I would recommend adding no more than one cup to your recipe.
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped walnuts
- Blueberries or other fresh fruit
More Easy Banana Recipes
- Nutella Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Marbled Banana Bread Recipe
- Banana Bars Recipe
- Cinnamon Banana Muffins
- Banana Bread Brownies
Easy Homemade Banana Bread Recipe
Go ahead, it’s your turn to make a loaf of this delicious bread. Let us know how much you loved this recipe by leaving us a comment below, or by tag us on social media while you’re making it because we always love to see what you’re up to in the kitchen.
Homemade Banana Bread Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the melted butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt, stir into the butter mixture until smooth. Finally, fold in the sour cream and bananas. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool loaf in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe was originally published on Somewhat Simple in July 2009.