This Chicken Waldorf Salad has the most delicious combination of flavors, and it’s so easy to make! It’s perfect for an elegant lunch!
Here are a few more summer recipes and fun ideas we think you’ll love – Grilled Chicken Rollers, Vietnamese Summer Rolls, and Charcuterie Picnic.
Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe
When it comes to lunch, I usually just take the easy route and pick at whatever I’m making for my kids to eat. As a busy mom, I don’t have much time for anything complicated.
Lately, I’ve been trying to up my lunch game, though, and this Waldorf Chicken Salad is one of my favorites! It’s so easy and quick to make (less than 10 minutes total!) and it tastes fantastic. You can prep everything ahead of time and assemble it when you’re ready to eat.
What is a Waldorf Salad?
The Waldorf Salad was named after the beautiful Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City where it was first made. It’s a cold salad made with tender chicken and crispy fruits and vegetables. The flavor combinations are both creamy and fresh, and savory and sweet.
This Waldorf Chicken Salad is simple and delicious, but still very elegant. It’s perfect for making even an ordinary day feel fancy!
How to Make Waldorf Chicken Salad
- cooked chicken breast- I like to use a rotisserie chicken to save time, and I love the extra flavor it adds to the chicken salad.
- granny smith apple
- seedless red grapes
Although the recipe below is my personal favorite way to make it, you can substitute other ingredients, if you prefer. It’s so easy to customize!
- Use any kind of apple you like (Honeycrisp, fuji, or gala are delicious!)
- Use any kind of nuts instead of walnuts (pecans are perfect, too!)
- Use raisins instead of dried cranberries
- add diced red onions, parsley, or chives
- try greek yogurt instead of the mayo (this will change the flavor, so you might want to add some salt and pepper, lemon juice, or dijon mustard to take away some of the sweetness)
Prep – Simply wash, cut, and chop all of the delicious ingredients.
Assembly – This salad is as easy as just tossing all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and tossing until combined!
Serving – Once the salad is all mixed together, you can serve it in any of the following ways –
- make sandwiches- croissants are my favorite
- make a wrap – a spinach tortilla or butter leaf lettuce are delicious!
- serve it on a bed of romaine lettuce
- eat it straight from a small bowl
Refrigerate – You’ll want to refrigerate the salad until you’re ready to serve it, to keep it fresh. Although it’s best used within 24 hours, it will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days if needed.
Sandwiches – If you’re using it to make sandwiches, I would suggest not assembling them ahead of time or the bread will be soggy.
More Easy Salad Recipes
- Homemade Egg Salad
- Crunchy Asian Chicken Salad
- Tortellini Apple Salad Recipe
- Best Cobb Salad Recipe
- Broccoli & Bacon Salad
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Chicken Waldorf Salad
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3/4 cup grapes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 medium green apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Add the chicken, grapes, celery, green apple, walnuts, and dried cranberries to a medium bowl, and toss to combine. Add the mayonnaise to the bowl and toss until all of the ingredients are coated with the dressing. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Super delicious! Thanks for sharing:)
I’m glad you like it!
I loved this salad, so much flavor!! I wrapped it into a tortilla wrap and enjoy 2 for a quick and easy lunch!
That sounds delicious! Thanks Lily!
I love how light this salad is. It makes for the best lunch!
Isn’t it so good? I’m glad you like it!