You won’t believe how simple it is to turn an ordinary box of chocolates into a delicious countdown activity! Our Chocolate Christmas Advent Calendar is definitely a tradition you’ll want to keep doing every year. 😉
Growing up it was a tradition for each of the kids to get their own Chocolate Christmas Advent Calendar. You’ve seen those, right? It’s a cardboard box the size of a large story book with little flaps numbered that you open each day and find your very own piece of chocolate. It was part of the magic of Christmas. Except now that I am older, I’m not a huge fan of chocolate that tastes sort of like wax- are you with me?
So I decided it was time to get creative. I found this Hershey’s Pot of Gold at Walmart for $5 and new it would be perfect – there are exactly 24 pieces, which means 1 candy each day starting on December 1st until Christmas Eve! (It also means you have to limit yourself to just one piece per day- can you handle that?)
While my kids get excited about their fun advent calendars with the waxy chocolate stuff, my husband and I can indulge on our own delightful goodness, and everyone enjoys the magic of Christmas! 🙂
Chocolate Christmas Advent Calendar
- Hershey’s Pot of Gold chocolates, or any chocolates that have 24 similar-sized compartments (See’s California Brittle is also an excellent choice)
- Chocolate Christmas Advent Calendar Printables (download below)
- Paper cutter and/or scissors
- First, print off our darling advent printables, and cut them out.
- You’ll notice that there’s a black stripe on one side. You can cut this off if you’re taping your squares on, or simply fold the black stripe down, and place in between your chocolates. You may need to trim this down, depending on the type of chocolate box you have. (For this box, I simply cut off the black stripe, since taping them would be easier.)
- Tape or place the squares onto your chocolate compartments, and you’re done!
A Fun Variation:
Use this advent not only to indulge in chocolate and countdown to Christmas, but use it for fun activities your family can do together each night. Print THIS FREE PRINTABLE with 24 activities and glue them to the inside of each of your flaps. Now you get some family fun and a yummy treat!
Simple and sweet- literally!
Ready to make your own?
Happy counting down to Christmas!!
Our readers also enjoyed these posts:
This post originally published in 2012, but was updated with new printables and images in 2017