Chex muddy buddies are a delicious twist on an old snack that you and your family will love! Made with the irresistible combination of chocolate and peanut butter, then topped with powdered sugar, you wont’ be able to resist this muddy buddy recipe.
I love to have a big bowl of these to snack on when friends and family are over. Some of my other favorite sweets to serve are these Rice Krispy Treats, Cake Mix Cookies or my famous Homemade Brownies.
Chex Mix Muddy Buddies
When I was growing up, Chex muddy buddies were some of my favorite treats! My neighbor across the street made them frequently, and I babysat her kids often in exchange for Muddy Buddies. I loved the crunch, the mixture of peanut butter and chocolate, and the sweet powdered sugar on the outside. Every time I eat them now as an adult, I think back to those tasty treats of my childhood.
Recently I realized that I’ve never made muddy buddies with my own kids, which is such a shame! My kids adore chocolate and peanut butter, and we always have Chex in the house, so I thought it was high time we made some Muddy Buddies together!
I let my girls do all the work (with a little guidance from me) and they did a great job! My four year old loved measuring out the cereal into the bowl and mixing in all of the ingredients.
More Easy Chex Mix Recipes
- Original Chex Mix Recipe
- Sugar Cookie Chex Mix
- Zombie Bait Chex Mix
- Sugary Sweet Chex Mix
- Lemonade Chex Mix Recipe
My eight year old was a great help by reading the recipe for us and helping her sister with stirring the mix. I’m pretty impressed that they managed to stir in all the chocolate without making a mess all over the table!
How To Make Muddy Buddies
- First, grab a medium sized microwave safe bowl and put in the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for about one minute
- Give the mixture a good stir then microwave about 30 seconds longer
- When the mixture can be stirred smoothly you’ll know it’s ready
- Stir the vanilla in with the mixture
- Put the cereal into a different large mixing bowl
- Pour the chocolate and peanut butter mixture over cereal
- Stir everything together until it’s evenly coated
- Once it’s been evenly mixed, pour everything into a large resealable plastic bag (I used one that was 2 gallons)
- Add the powdered sugar into the bag
- Seal the bag and shake until well everything is evenly coated
- Spread the muddy buddies onto waxed paper to let them cool
Their very favorite part was shaking in all the powdered sugar. I divided the Muddy Buddies between two bags so they could each have their own bag to shake, and they had a little impromptu dance party while shaking their bags. So funny!
How Long Can You Keep Muddy Buddies
Once your Chex muddy buddies have completely cooled, store them in an airtight container to keep them fresh the longest. If you store them in the refrigerator they can keep for about 2 weeks. Let’s be honest, the only way they’ll stay in your refrigerator for 2 weeks is if you put something in front of them and forget about them. The last time I made them, they only lasted until my kids got home from school.
Chex Muddy Buddies Recipe
This recipe is so easy that it only takes about 15 minutes to make. My family absolutely loves this muddy buddy recipe so when I make it, I’ll double the ingredients so there’s plenty for everyone and a little left over for later. I prefer to use salted butter when I’m making these because I love a hint of salt when I’m eating something sweet but unsalted butter will work just fine as well.
Look at these girls, so proud of their creation! They did a great job, and it was so fun to work together as a family to make a treat from my childhood. Cooking with my girls is one of my very favorite things to do, and based on how much they loved making this Chex muddy buddies recipe, we are definitely going to make this a new family tradition during the holidays! Go ahead, give these a shot; you’ll love them too!
Chex Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups Rice Chex
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a medium sized microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on high for 1 minute; then stir.
- Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour the cereal into a different large mixing bowl
- Pour the mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated
- Once it's been evenly mixed, pour everything into a large resealable plastic bag. I used one that was 2 gallons.
- Add the powdered sugar into the bag.
- Seal the bag and shake until well coated.
- Spread onto waxed paper to cool.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.