Chex Muddy Buddies is a classic snack mix made with chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. It’s easy to make, weirdly addicting, and totally delicious!
I love to have a large bowl of Muddy Buddies to snack on when friends and family are over for game nights. If you need more snack ideas to feed your guests, try our Creamy Rice Krispy Treats, the easy Cake Mix Cookies, or my favorite Homemade Brownies.
Chex Mix Muddy Buddies
When I was growing up, Chex Muddy Buddies were some of my favorite treats! My neighbor across the street made them frequently, and I just loved the flavor, the crunch, the mixture of the creamy peanut butter and milk chocolate, and the sweet powdered sugar on the outside. Every time I eat them now as an adult, I think back to those tasty treats of my childhood.
Recently I realized that I’ve never made muddy buddies with my own kids, which is such a shame! My kids adore chocolate and peanut butter, and we always have Chex cereal in the house, so I thought it was high time we made some Muddy Buddies together!
What are Muddy Buddies?
Sometimes called “Puppy Chow”, since it sort of resembles dog food, Muddy Buddies is a simple snack mix made by combining 6 ingredients –
- Chex Cereal – Rice Chex or Corn Chex are my favorites, but you can use Wheat or Chocolate Chex, or whatever you love or have on-hand
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter
- Butter – I prefer to use salted butter when I’m making these because I love a hint of salt when I’m eating something sweet but unsalted butter will work just fine as well.
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
This recipe is so easy that it only takes about 15 minutes to make. My family absolutely loves this muddy buddy recipe so when I make it, I’ll double the ingredients so there’s plenty for everyone and a little leftover for later.
How To Make Muddy Buddies
I let my girls do most of the work and they did a great job! My four-year-old loved measuring out the cereal into the bowl and mixing in all of the ingredients. My eight-year-old was a great help by reading the recipe for us and helping her sister with stirring the mix.
- First, grab a medium sized microwavable-safe bowl and put in the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter
- Melt by cooking in the microwave, uncovered, on high for about one minute
- Give the mixture a good stir then microwave about 30 seconds longer
- When the mixture can be stirred smoothly you’ll know it’s ready
- Stir the vanilla in with the chocolate mixture
- Put the cereal into a different large mixing bowl
- Pour the chocolate and peanut butter mixture over cereal
- Stir everything together until it’s evenly coated
- Once it’s been evenly mixed, pour everything into a large resealable plastic bag (I used one that was 2 gallons)
- Add the powdered sugar into the bag
- Seal the bag and shake until well everything is evenly coated
Their very favorite part was shaking in all the powdered sugar. I divided the Muddy Buddies between two bags so they could each have their own bag to shake, and they had a little impromptu dance party while shaking their bags.
- Spread the muddy buddies onto a baking sheet covered in waxed paper to let them cool at room temperature
Look at these girls, so proud of their creation! They did a great job, and it was so fun to work together as a family to make a treat from my childhood. Cooking with my girls is one of my very favorite things to do, and based on how much they loved making this Chex muddy buddies recipe, we are definitely going to make this a new family tradition during the holidays! Go ahead, give these a shot; you’ll love them too!
More Easy Chex Mix Recipes
- Original Chex Mix Recipe
- Sugar Cookie Chex Mix
- Zombie Bait Chex Mix
- Sugary Sweet Chex Mix
- Lemonade Chex Mix Recipe
How Long Can You Keep Muddy Buddies
Once your Chex muddy buddies have completely cooled, store them in an airtight container to keep them fresh the longest. If you store them in the refrigerator they can keep for about 2 weeks. Let’s be honest, the only way they’ll stay in your fridge for 2 weeks is if you put something in front of them and forget about them. The last time I made them, they only lasted until my kids got home from school.
Chex Muddy Buddies Recipe
Here’s a printable recipe card so you can save it with the rest of your favorite holiday snack ideas!
Chex Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups Rice Chex
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a medium sized microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on high for 1 minute; then stir.
- Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour the cereal into a different large mixing bowl
- Pour the mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated
- Once it’s been evenly mixed, pour everything into a large resealable plastic bag. I used one that was 2 gallons.
- Add the powdered sugar into the bag.
- Seal the bag and shake until well coated.
- Spread onto waxed paper to cool.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.