This homemade original Chex mix recipe is a classic snack that’s quick and easy to make! It’s both addicting and delicious… don’t say I didn’t warn you!
Easy Chex Mix Recipe
Who else is totally addicted to homemade Chex mix? I remember the first time that I tried it – I was at a party when I was a teenager. I grabbed a handful out of curiosity and was totally shocked by how delicious it was. Where had this savory, crunchy, addictively delicious snack been all my life?
Since then, I’ve tried a lot of Chex mix recipes, but I keep coming back to this original Chex mix recipe as my favorite. It’s simple, delicious, and could not be easier to make. It’s one of my very favorite snacks!
This Chex Mix can be made in the oven or the microwave. Here’s how:
Chex Mix Ingredients –
The fun thing about this recipe is that you can use whatever ingredients you have on hand. Here’s what I like to add to mine-
- DRY INGREDIENTS –
- Corn Chex cereal
- Rice Chex cereal
- mixed nuts (salted peanuts, cashews, almonds and pistachios are delicious!)
- mini pretzels
- Cheez-It crackers (any cheese crackers or goldfish crackers work well!)
- WET INGREDIENTS –
- Worcestershire sauce
- SEASONINGS –
- seasoned salt
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS –
- bagel chips
- Wheat Chex
- cayenne pepper (if you want a bit of spice!)
How To Make Chex Party Mix In The Oven
Prep – To make this easy original Chex mix in the oven, start by preheating the oven to 250 degrees F.
Mix – Pour the Chex cereal, nuts, pretzels, and Cheez-Its into a large bowl and give it a good mix. Melt the butter in a smaller bowl and stir in all of the seasonings. Pour the butter mixture over the cereal mixture and toss everything until well coated.
Bake – Pour the Chex mixture evenly onto a baking sheet or large roasting pan and bake it for one hour. You will need to stir the mixture every 15 minutes to keep it from burning.
How To Make Chex Mix In The Microwave
The original Chex mix recipe above required baking it in the oven and stirring it at intervals, but this new (and much easier) microwave recipe means that you can have homemade Chex mix in about 15 minutes! It’s so simple and quick.
Prep – Pour the Chex cereal, nuts, pretzels, and Cheez-Its into a large microwave-safe bowl and give it a good mix. Melt butter in a smaller bowl and stir in all of the seasonings. Pour the butter mixture over the cereal mixture and toss everything until well coated.
Cook – Microwave everything uncovered for about 4-5 minutes, stirring the mixture after every minute so that it heats evenly.
Cool – Pour the mix out onto some parchment paper in an even layer to let it cool for several minutes. Once it reaches room temperature, serve immediately or store it in an airtight container.
Tips For Making Original Chex Mix
- Cool – It’s a good idea to let the Chex mix cool before serving because it does get pretty hot while it’s cooking.
- Keep An Eye On It – Be sure to watch it carefully, and stir every minute, to prevent burning.
- Storage -Store any leftover Chex Mix in an airtight container. If stored in an airtight container, this Chex Mix can last several weeks.
More Easy Chex Mix Recipes
- Lemonade Chex Mix Recipe
- Chex Muddy Buddy Recipe
- Sugar Cookie Chex Mix
- Zombie Bait Chex Mix
- Sugary Sweet Chex Mix
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Original Chex Mix
- 3 cups corn Chex cereal
- 3 cups rice Chex cereal
- 2/3 cup mixed nuts
- 2/3 cup mini pretzels
- 2/3 cup Cheez-It crackers
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Making Chex Mix In The Microwave
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, mix together the corn Chex, rice Chex, mixed nuts, pretzels, and Cheez-It crackers.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Stir in the Worcestershire, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Pour the butter mixture over the cereal mixture and toss to coat.
- Microwave uncovered on high for 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute. Watch carefully to prevent burning. Spread on paper towels or parchment to cool, then store in an airtight container.
Making Chex Mix In The Oven
- Follow steps 1 & 2 above to prepare your original chex mix for baking
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F
- Spread your chex mix evenly into a roasting pan
- Bake the chex mix for 1 hour
- Stir the chex mix every 15 minutes to prevent the mix from burning
- Let the chex mix cool for 10-15 minutes