I am so in love with Pie in the fall. Well… really, I’m in love with pie during all seasons of the year.
But don’t you think there’s something especially cozy about pie that makes it so perfect for fall? And so many pies are filled with cinnamon, and spice, and apples, and pumpkin–all of those flavors that make you think about wearing boots and scarves and walking down a sidewalk covered in crunchy leaves….
And while all of those flavors are lovely, and will definitely be much used in my kitchen this fall, this pie only will only bring two thoughts to mind (and neither one of them will be about crunching leaves or scarves):
1. I need some milk. Now.
2. I. want. more.
This pie is decadent– not for the faint of heart, my friends! Don’t even touch it if you don’t have a glass of milk near by.
Did you pour a glass? Perfect. Now grab a fork (don’t bother with a plate, you won’t need it), and dig right in.
What kind of German Chocolate eater are you? Do you scrape the coconut topping off first? Or do you like to get the coconut and the chocolate together all in one big bite?
I’m a scraper
German Chocolate Brownie Pie
Recipe adapted from: The Family Kitchen
Ingredients for the Brownie Pie:
- 1 deep dish pie crust
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup high-quality cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
Directions for the Brownie Pie:
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl.
- With an electric mixer, beat in the cocoa powder, sugar, and vanilla until well mixed.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or just until the center of the pie is set.
Ingredients for the Coconut Topping:
- 1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 c. sweetened flaked coconut (you can add more if you’d like)
- 3/4 c. chopped pecans
Directions for the Coconut Topping:
- Over medium heat, whisk together the milk, sugar, butter, and egg yolks in a medium saucepan. Whisk constantly until smooth, thick, and golden brown.
- Remove from heat and add the coconut and pecans. Mix in with a rubber spatula.
Assembly: simply spread the coconut topping over the brownie pie. Cut into 16 slices to serve!