This simple Green Smoothie is made with apples, kale or spinach, nutmeg and cinnamon. It can be made vegan and gluten free and it is nutritious and delicious!
Simple Green Smoothies
Fall is my favorite recipe season of the year! The dishes are hearty, and the ingredients are so fresh! Especially living in Pennsylvania, apples and pumpkins are absolutely everywhere, so I thought why not get a bite of Apple Pie AND an extra helping of greens in at the same time!? This Apple Pie Green Smoothie recipe was the result!
How to Mask the Taste of Kale and Spinach
Before the kale or spinach in this green beauty scares you away, I have some tricks for disguising it so well the only reason you (or your kids!) will even know it’s there is the green color!
- Use baby kale instead of the full stalks. It is slightly more expensive, but it’s a lot less crunchy.
- Freeze it in advance. This will tone down the bitter flavor a bit.
- Blend thoroughly. Whenever you think your smoothie is mixed up, let the machine run an extra 20-30 seconds. That extra time can make a big difference in really breaking down the fibers and making your smoothie smooth!
- Treat the Kale right. Store it in an airtight container and rip the stems out so only the leaves make it into your blender.
- Save the ice for last. You’ll see in the directions below that you blend all the ingredients first then add ice and blend again. This keeps your smoothie from getting too watery from the melted ice, but also gives the blades plenty of time to work on your produce.
Green Smoothie Questions, ANSWERED!
If you’re new to the world of healthy green smoothies, we’re here to help!
Are Green Smoothies healthy?
Green smoothies are a good sources of minerals and vitamins!
What are the benefits of green smoothies?
- Boosts Your Fruit & Vegetable Intake
- Provides Increased Energy
- Strengthens Immune System
- Strengthens and Helps Healthy Bones
- Can Help Lower High Cholesterol and High Blood Pressure
- Natural Weight Loss
- May Help with Seasonal Allergies
- Lessens Symptoms of PMS
- Supports Eye + Vision Health
- Provide therapeutic benefits for / protect against Alzheimer’s, Arthritis, Gout, Type 2 Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s, Lupus and Stroke.
Do Green Smoothies make you lose weight?
To increase your odds of losing weight by drinking green smoothies, track your calorie intake and use a green smoothie as a meal replacement instead of a snack.
Here are a few more healthy meal and snack options you might enjoy –
Apple Pie Green Smoothie Recipe
Apple Pie Green Smoothie Recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy milk or cow milk/ nut milk
- 1 red delicious apple
- 1 tsp agave or honey
- 1 scoop pea-based protein powder or any unflavored or vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup kale or spinach
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon if your protein powder has a strong flavor then add more cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 8 ice cubes
- chopped pecans/ walnuts/ coconut for garnish
Add all the ingredients EXCEPT the ice cubes and the nuts to the blender and blend together for 1 minute. It is important to layer the ingredients in the order they appear on the list above so your smoothie processes faster. Even when it seems done, let it go for the full minute to really get everything smooth and creamy!
Then, add the 8 ice cubes and blend another 30 seconds.
Top with chopped pecans/ walnuts/ coconut and enjoy!
As shown, this green smoothie is vegan & gluten free, but I've included ingredient suggestions that might work more with what you have in your fridge. Want even more pie-y-ness? Top with a dollop of whipped cream, shredded coconut, or extra sprinkle of spices! I chose a red delicious apple for this recipe because it's both sweet and a softer apple so it blends up beautifully. However, I'm also an enormous fan of tart green apples if you don't mind a little sweet and sour in your morning! If you're having this smoothie as a full meal I would recommend adding more calories to it by (1) using 2 scoops of protein powder, (2) adding a spoonful of maple almond butter before blending, (3) using all milk instead of mixed milk and water, or any combination of those! NUTRITION: 176 calories, 2g fat, 30 carbs, 10g protein (this will change based on your protein powder)
Hack Your Routine!
5 Time-Saving Tips for Crazy Busy Moms