With a crispy crust and soft inside, this homemade French Bread comes together in about an hour and it tastes amazing!
One Hour French Bread
Every time I go to the grocery store I have to walk through the bakery and bread aisle. Those smells are heavenly. The last time I was there they were setting out freshly baked loaves of French bread and had to buy a couple.
After snacking on one of the loaves while I shopped, I decided I needed to make my own. I love homemade bread but I just don’t have the time a lot of the recipes require. Then I found this recipe.
This homemade french bread recipe is quite possibly the easiest bread you’ll ever make! You only need a few basic ingredients and it takes one hour from start to finish. It really is the best recipe you’ll find.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Warm water
- Butter or olive oil optional
How To Make French Bread
Prep – Before you get start on this French bread recipe, you’ll also want to grease a cookie sheet or line it with a baking mat.
Yeast Prep – You’ll start by adding some warm water, yeast, and sugar to a large bowl. You don’t want to stir it together. Just let everything sit for 5 minutes.
Knead It – Next, add the salt, oil, and flour to the bowl. Using your hands you’ll mix the ingredients together. Continue to knead the dough with your hands until it is smooth and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
Rise Up – Now put a cup of water in the microwave and cook it for 2 minutes. Then, you’ll place a towel over the bowl of dough and put it in the microwave with the cup of water, close the door, and let it sit for 15 minutes to rise. (Do not turn the microwave on.)
Split – Divide dough into 2 large or 4 smaller loaves and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
Cut – Before you put them in the oven, make slashes on the top of each loaf with a sharp knife. Then cover them with a towel and let the French bread loaves sit while you are preheating the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook – Once the oven is ready, place the loaves in the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until they’re a beautiful golden brown color.
Pull the loaves out of the oven and brush with butter or olive oil while hot, if desired.
Serving – Slice each loaf and serve them nice and warm! (And then call me and I’ll be right over to help you eat it!) This homemade bread is perfect to use for French toast or a Caprese Sandwich. However you use it, you’re going to love it!
Keep It Fresh – If you make it ahead of time, or have any leftovers, be sure to wrap it up in a zipper bag to keep the French bread from going stale.
Don’t Refrigerate – Storing your bread in the fridge will dry it out, so just leave it on the counter.
This bread makes a great gift idea too! Details on how I wrapped it up and gifted it to a friend HERE.
More Easy Bread Recipes
- Easy Artisan Bread Recipe
- Jalapño Cheddar French Peasant Bread
- Traditional Irish Soda Bread
- Homemade Whole Wheat Bread
- Easiest Homemade Banana Bread Recipe
French Bread Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- butter or olive oil, optional
- In a large bowl, add warm water, yeast, and sugar. Don’t stir. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, oil, and flour to the bowl. Using your hands, mix and knead the dough until smooth and it starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. You may need to add more flour depending on your altitude.
- Put a cup of water in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes. Place a towel over the bowl of dough and put it in the microwave with the cup of water, close the door, and let it sit for 15 minutes to rise. (Do not turn it on.)
- Divide dough into 2 large or 4 smaller loaves and place on a greased cookie sheet or a baking mat. Make slashes on the top of each loaf with a sharp knife, cover with a towel, and let the loaves sit while your oven preheats to 375.
- Once up to temperature, place the loaves in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden.
- Brush with butter or olive oil while hot, if desired.