Blueberry Lemon Scones combine two of the freshest flavors of summer! This recipe creates a flaky scone that’s soft, light, and totally delicious!
Blueberry Lemon Breakfast
I absolutely love scones and bake them often, but these are definitely some of the best I’ve made. I love the sweet and flaky crust, the juicy blueberries, and the hint of tartness from the lemon.
These scones melt-in-your-mouth and are bursting with juicy blueberries. Best of all, they’re quick to make, too! They’re the perfect easy treat for a tasty breakfast or no fuss dessert.
How To Make Lemon Blueberry Scones
- baking powder
- lemon zest
- shortening stick
- fresh blueberries
Prep – Start by preheating the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
Dry Ingredients – Whisk together your dry ingredients and the lemon zest. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the shortening until the pieces are no larger than pea sized.
Wet Ingredients – Add your buttermilk and egg, and mix until everything has just combined. Then you’ll gently fold in some fresh blueberries. Be careful that you don’t crush them. I love how pretty those fresh blueberries are!
Spread & Cut – Pat the dough out into a circle that’s about 8 inches across. Be careful not to overwork the dough. Next, cut the dough into 8 wedges. I like to use a bench scraper to make things easier, and to help with lifting the scones.
Cook – Place the scones on your prepared baking sheet and then bake for about 18-20 minutes. When they’re done they should have a light golden color.
Split Them Up – After you cut the scones into wedges, you can leave everything in the shape of a disc. If you leave them together, they will take a few extra minutes to cook, so you’ll need to adjust your cooking time accordingly.
Fresh or Frozen Blueberries– I prefer to use fresh blueberries in this scone recipe. However, when blueberries aren’t in season, frozen ones will work just fine.
Storage – These lemon & blueberry scones can go stale real fast, so make sure you wrap up any leftovers really quickly. They will stay fresh for about 3-4 days in the fridge.
More Easy Scones Recipes
- Cranberry Scones With White Chocolate
- Pumpkin & Chocolate Chip Scones
- Almond & Poppy Seed Scones
- The Best Cinnamon Scones Recipe
- Dulce de Leche Scones Recipe
HERE’S A PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE –
Lemon Blueberry Scones Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with silicone or parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the Crisco® shortening until the pieces are no larger than pea sized.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until the dough just starts to come together. Gently fold in the blueberries, being careful not to crush them.
- Pat the dough out into an 8 inch circle, being careful not to overwork it. Cut the circle into eight wedges, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.