Monster cookies are loaded with a delicious combination of chocolate chips, M&Ms and oatmeal. Decorate them with candy monster eyes and they make the perfect Halloween cookie recipe.
Easy Monster Cookies
Halloween is the unofficial beginning of the holiday baking season. Every year, there seems to be a countless number of delicious new recipes to try. Plus, once you get into the holiday season, all of the yummy treats just seem to get more adorable.
These monster cookies are no exception. You start with an easy oatmeal cookie recipe and then jam pack it with a whole lot of candy goodness. Then top them off with a few candy eyes and turn these cookies into adorably delicious monsters.
The best part is that these cookies only take about 20 minutes from start to finish. They’re fun to make any afternoon with your kids but can also be the perfect dessert for your next Halloween Party.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Quick oats
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Chocolate chips (any flavor – we used these fun confetti ones)
- One egg
- Butter – I always like to use salted butter when I’m baking
- Candy eyes (optional) – You can make your own monster eyes or buy them at the store.
How To Make Monster Cookies
Prep – Before you get started on the dough, you’ll want to preheat the oven to 350°. Be sure to also line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
Dry Ingredients – To make sure your cookies turn out soft, you’ll start by mixing the dry ingredients first. Once everything is fully blended, set the bowl aside.
Wet ingredients – In a separate bowl you’ll now want to mix the butter, egg and vanilla together until they’ve fully combined.
Combine – Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and then mix everything together. You can use a spoon, but we found it easiest just to use our hands to combine all the ingredients. 🙂
Make The Monsters – Scoop out the dough to make equal sized balls and place them on your cookie sheet. If you’re going to decorate the cookies using the candy eyes, place about 5 or 6 on top of each of the cookie dough balls.
Cook – Bake the monster cookies for about 10 to 12 minutes or until they start to turn brown around the edges are are cooked throughout.
Peanut Butter – I’m a sucker for the delicious chocolate and peanut butter combo. Sometimes I’ll substitute the M&Ms for Reese’s Pieces or the chocolate chips for peanut butter chips.
Freezing – These cookies are so good that sometimes I’ll make extra dough and freeze it to bake later. If you freeze the dough, just let it thaw to room temperature before baking them.
More Halloween Recipe Ideas
- Easy Halloween Ghost Pancakes
- Zombie Bait Chex Mix
- Halloween Rice Krispie Treats
- Candy Corn Cupcake Recipes
- Nutter Butter Ghost Cookies
Monster Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup m&ms
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Candy eyes
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Add dry ingredients into a large bowl, and stir together.
- Add wet ingredients, and mix together. You can use a spoon, but we found it easiest just to use our hands to combine all the ingredients. 🙂
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, place dough on cookie sheets.
- If using the candy eyes, place a 5-6 onto the tops of each cookie dough ball.
- Cook at 350° for 10-12 minutes.