We’ve been making these snowman cookies for years now, they’ve sort of become a holiday tradition in our family! The thing I love most about these cookies (besides how cute they are!) is how EASY it is to make them. Depending on how much time you have, or how much effort you want to put in, you can get as home-made as you’d like! Use your favorite recipes for sugar cookies and vanilla frosting, or buy everything at the store – no judging here! (These are actually the perfect way to dress up some store-bought cookies and frosting!)
The original recipe I tried years ago used a lot of fondant – and while the fondant certainly looks cute, it can be hard to work with, plus it doesn’t taste as good. So I modified quite a few things to make it more simple and way better tasting!
Here is the full tutorial with the entire recipe below:
Melted Snowman Cookies
- 1 dozen sugar cookies, baked and cooled. (Store bought or homemade both work well. Try our favorite sugar cookie recipe HERE.
- 12 large marshmallows
- frosting (white and orange)
- Wilton Decorating Icing Tubes in Black, Red, Green, Blue and Pink
You can save a lot of money if you make the icing yourself!
- Melt your white frosting in the microwave at 30 second increments so it is runnier than normal.
- Spread the white frosting over each cookie using the back of a spoon. Let some dribble over the edges for a “puddle” look.
- Place marshmallows on a microwave safe plate, then heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Watch the marshmallows as they cook and stop the microwave as soon as the marshmallows start to get puffy. Do not let them double in size.
- Spray your fingers with cooking spray, and carefully pull the marshmallows off the plate by the base and set them on top of the frosted cookies.
- Decorate as you’d like with the colored frosting.
- Serve and enjoy!
This post originally published in December 2010.